Angie's Reviews > The Witches: Salem, 1692

The Witches by Stacy Schiff

bookshelves: non-fiction

Thorough non-fiction detailing the Salem Witch Trials of 1692 and the time period and society right before and after.

A lot of what was discussed are actual transcripts of the the trials, what still exists anyway. Lots of listing of the individuals accused and the accusations put forth against them. It was a little dry for what I was expecting, but still a good read! It was very detailed and I appreciated that and all the research that must have gone into compiling all of it. I liked this book, and I feel like I have a complete knowledge of what is out there historically on the subject.

One thing I was a bit disappointed in was that she really didn't give much commentary on her thoughts/opinions on causes. In that way it was rather textbook-like. But not a reason to not read it! It was just something I noticed.

I listened to the audio version, so I'm not sure if the book form has much "bonus" type material. None was mentioned during the audio of the book.

I would recommend it to those wanting to know more about the Salem Witch Trials.

I would like to have a copy in my personal library to reference. I've long read/researched about the Trials (since high school and that was a long time ago! :)) I also enjoy reading historical fiction on this subject. It makes a great companion to the fictional reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witches.

July 26, 2015 – Shelved
July 26, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
February 28, 2016 – Started Reading
February 28, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
February 28, 2016 – Shelved as: non-fiction
February 29, 2016 –
March 1, 2016 –
March 3, 2016 –
40.0% "Still amazes me how the whole community fed into the hysteria! Why didn't someone question this?? Crazy!"
March 6, 2016 –
March 7, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Frances (new)

Frances Enjoyed your review Angie! Does look like an interesting book!

message 2: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Have had this on my list for a while. The accusations and trials were off the charts.

message 3: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Really interesting! Great review, Angie :)