mark monday's Reviews > Crescent

131922
Dec 11, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: i-gave-up, futuristik

this child of Event Horizon and Outland was a severe disappointment. silly, nonsensical, zero characterization, and the worst sentient computer voice i've ever seen depicted in dialogue. i can read only so many descriptions of an old woman's sour body odor before realizing how all-inclusive the novel is when it comes to cliches. and i had such high hopes! a haunted space station is an ideal setting and it is irritating to see that setting squandered in trite set pieces and an excessive desire to be the snarkiest book in the room.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crescent.

09/27/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Brainycat (new)

Brainycat So, you're saying it doesn't really have any redeeming qualities?

message 2: by mark (new) - rated it 1 star

mark monday sadly, that is exactly what i'm saying. i may use the cover for a collage though, if i still did collages. but i'm sure the folks in our drop-in center will appreciate its presence on the donation shelf!

message 3: by Chase (new) - added it

Chase (Quote on GAF) Hey Mark, do you have any recommendations for Horror Sci-fi? I've read Ship of Fools and liked it if that helps.

message 4: by mark (last edited Sep 27, 2016 12:50AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

mark monday I really wish I had some good recommendations for you, but I'm coming up short. I did think Ship of Fools was pretty interesting.

Hull Zero Three has what could be a perfect scifi horror premise but the horror decreases rather than increases as the novel progresses. still, another interesting book.

The Bones of the Earth is also pretty interesting, but it reads more as horrific post-apocalyptic science fantasy than science fiction horror. it does bring the horror though, definitely.

the first half of Sherri's Tepper Grass is wonderful scifi horror. the second half, when the horror goes away, mainly irritated and bored me.

Alastair Reynolds is pretty well renowned for having a lot of horror in his dark space operas, particularly in his Revelation Space trilogy. I've read the first two and am currently reading the third, and have found so far that horror was most present in the first book; less so in its sequels. a lot of great eerie, creepy moments all throughout that first one.

Blindsight is an excellent novel, but I'd lump it in with Ship of Fools and Hull Zero Three as more philosophical science fiction with horror trappings than as actual "horror scifi". there are some great horror moments though, and of these three books, I'd say it is clearly the strongest.

I don't recommend and didn't care for Joe Schreiber's Star Wars novel Death Troopers but it is definitely scifi horror. zombies in space!

the three books I've read that kept that balance of science fiction and horror from beginning to end and that I'd unequivocally recommend:

The Dry Salvages by Caitlin Kiernan

the novella A Colder War by Charles Stross

Jeffrey Thomas's super fun Monstrocity

message 5: by Chase (new) - added it

Chase (Quote on GAF) Whoa, thanks Mark!

After I posted this I found the Space Horror list and noticed you've reviewed a good amount of them.

I've had Blindsight on my list, so I think I'll read that next or read the last Revelation Space book. I've added Hull Zero Three and The Bones of the Earth to my list as well.

If you like the way Alastair creates ships (I loved the eerie Nostalgia for Infinity), I would recommend Chasm City as well, which ties into Redemption Ark a small amount and has some interesting horror as well. (While i'm recommending Reynolds, House of Suns is my favorite, but not horror.)

I wish there was more to choose from in this genre. I love the idea that sometimes, stuff just wants to kill us in space and it's beyond our understanding.

Thanks for all the reviews. I always get excited to see you in this section when i'm browsing potential books to read!

message 6: by Justine (new)

Justine What about The Burning Dark by Adam Christopher? I haven't read it, but some of my GR friends have and said it was pretty good SF/horror.

message 7: by mark (new) - rated it 1 star

mark monday that looks intriguing, thanks for the rec. added!

message 8: by mark (new) - rated it 1 star

mark monday Chase wrote: "Whoa, thanks Mark!...

glad to help!

the Nostalgia for Infinity and Captain Brannigan are my favorite things about the series. so fascinating and strange and strangely sympathetic. I definitely plan on continuing with this series past the trilogy, and Chasm City is on the list.