Laianna's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Dec 11, 2010

Read in February, 2011

I had originally rated this book five stars, but I've changed my rating to four stars for two reasons:

Firstly, after reading some reviews, I've re-evalutaed my conclusions about the book and discovered that a lot of critiques I've seen actually make a lot of sense.

And secondly, I realized that it is only when compared to other, much worse, attempts at dystopian fiction (*cough*XVI*cough*) that Delirium really stands out.

Overall, Delirium is a good book, but it is not one that is great.

I agree with many other reviewers that the most intriguing part of this book is not the love story that dominates it, but the love-hating world that the author has created. I haven't yet read Lauren Oliver's debut, Before I Fall, but reading Delirium definitely makes me want to. If this is what people consider a bad attempt at dystopian, I can't wait to read what they call good contemporary. With a real poetic skill, Ms. Oliver crafts an interesting world, most reminiscent of Carrie Ryan's ever-captivating The Forest of Hands and Teeth, if I had to pick something.

The main character is pretty average as YA protagonists go; like many other books in this genre, the supporting characters out-shine the main one. I wish the author had gone into more detail about Lena's friend Hana or her younger cousin Gracie... Those were the two that I wanted to know about.

Mostly though, I liked the heart-wrenching emotions. Even if you can't take this plotline seriously, you will definitely feel it when our protagonist is sad. I'm not sure if there are going to be more to this series -- It could be a tragic end, or a tragic cliff-hanger, I'm not really sure -- but like I said above, I will definitely be looking out for any of Ms. Oliver's future endeavors!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.