Gretchen's Reviews > Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami

961931
Dec 10, 2010

bookshelves: book-club, contemporary

Okay, I have to be honest. I did not want to read this book. I think everyone in my book club voted for it except for me. The whole premise just didn't sound like anything I would ever pick up on my own. But I guess that is the beauty of belonging to a book club. You read things you never would have read otherwise, and sometimes come across really interesting books.

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is just such a book. The novel alternates between two different stories. The first story involves a man who works for some kind of data-protection company (I never really did understand what it was he did...) in what appears to be modern-day Japan. The other story involves a man who has recently moved to "The Town" and has to learn to deal with the strange people and traditions there. As the two stories progress, certain elements start appearing in both stories, and soon the stories seem to be running parallel to each other.

I feel like I can't say anymore because I think I would ruin the book. Suffice it to say this book is a pretty wild ride. I don't even really know what to say about it because I know I don't really get it. But I did enjoy it. I thought it was well-written and I enjoyed Murakami's style. I would welcome an opportunity to read another book by him. Looking forward to discussing this novel at my book club!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.

December 10, 2010 – Shelved
December 10, 2010 – Shelved as: book-club
February 24, 2011 – Started Reading
March 9, 2011 –
page 71
March 13, 2011 –
page 138
34.5% "strange, but enjoyable"
March 14, 2011 –
page 182
March 15, 2011 –
page 266
March 16, 2011 –
page 347
86.75% "Getting really close to the end... still confused though!"
March 16, 2011 – Finished Reading