Rick Riordan's Reviews > The Martian

The Martian by Andy Weir

Adult science thriller.

Love it, love it! A meticulously researched, briskly paced and surprisingly funny story about an astronaut left behind on Mars, presumed dead, who must now figure out how to survive and let the folks back on Earth know he is alive and needs rescue. This is hard-science science fiction. Parts of it read like really complicated (but amusing) word problems, juggling mass and time and weight, etc. But all of that adds to the realism. You can tell Andy Weir loves his space exploration and knows a ton about it. He totally had me convinced, anyway. The Martian is a fast read, and the main character’s irrepressible sense of humor will have you cheering for him as he tries to survive against impossible odds. I will also never eat another potato again. (Long story.) If you’re looking for a fast-paced, believable space adventure set in present day, this is your book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Martian.

Finished Reading
July 24, 2015 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

message 1: by THE LEGO2·0 (new)

THE LEGO2·0 it looks good and it sounds good any recriminations?

message 2: by THE LEGO2·0 (new)

THE LEGO2·0 guys lets keep them short

Kamraniskool so far so good

Doctor Who Fan I♥♥DW Ha, yeah those potatoes.

Marti Agler Don't normally care for the classic space science fiction, found this one very believable and readable. Love his conversations with himself. Funny, awe inspiring character.

Luke Conlisk i gree with you rick it is a surprisingly funny read. and let me just add that you re one of my favourite authors of all time thanks for being you

george kincaid mark watney taught me that anything can be fixed with duck tape

Brian McConville This is awesome! fav book of all time have u seen movie

Levi Aaron Bailey The Martian: A Novel is probably the best book that I have ever read. 10/10.

Levi Aaron Bailey Yhe movie is also g but it's missing some lines.t,but i

george kincaid i have seen the movie and my favorite line is "yeah, fuck you mars"

message 12: by Amit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amit Ferman This book has a very interesting ratio of science and math: 80:20.

Gergolini The book is way better than the film.

Gbolahan Uncle Rick, for this rating you gave this awesome book, i WILL buy all your books. Including the 13 or so I read free (errrr, never mind how I got them). Bought the first 2 Magnuses and the first 2 Apollos and PJsGreekGods so far...

Gbolahan THE LEGO2·0 wrote: "guys lets keep them short"

Keep what short?

message 16: by Carey (new)

Carey Tu Cool

Kitty It's an adult science thriller? I'm a 12 year old and I just finished it, and thought it was purely wonderful. Your review is great by the way

Aleksandra Great review! Pretty much sums up what I felt and wanted to say about Andy Weir's book. A fun, fast read, despite the hard-science parts too difficult for me to understand;) But yes, I agree it made the story all the more realistic. I'll just add that in this case at least, I wouldn't mind watching the movie adaptation first, as sometimes it wasn't easy for me to visualize what was going on or what our hero was up to (eg. how the space equipment looked like). Well, I'll watch it anyway later:)

message 19: by Yden (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yden Da Contrary to your potato beliefs, this book only makes me want some organic, Mars-grown fries in a big basket with some dehydrated ketchup! Andy Weir’s meticulous mathematics and chemistry in this book is very interesting to me as well. I enjoy feeling like my lessons in AP Chem are actually paying off, as I can actually understand (some) of the science involved in this book!

message 20: by Jaffet (new) - added it

Jaffet Vazqueztell Agreed, great book overall fell in love with it.

message 21: by Siddharth (new) - added it

Siddharth Krishna Rick Riordan, I agree with you

Science in the book is a little difficult to understand or very complex.

However, the book seems like a non-fictional as if you were stuck on space, you would need to make calculations and fix issues like food ration, make modifications to the rover to trabel long distances, fix probes to communicate, (etc.)

Last but not least, the book has a very interesting story unlike other non-fiction books. It is generally fast-paced and has many aspects of the story explained quickly through the many sols that Watney records.