Peter Kahn's Reviews > A People's History of the United States: 1492-Present

A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn

Dec 09, 2010

bookshelves: american, history
Read in January, 2010

This book changed my view of history my government and my ability to change things for the better. We don't need a savior leader we are our own saviors and have been since the birth of this nation.

The thesis of the book is that while the great moments in history may have been executed by great leaders it is because they were dragged to do so by mass movements. I think there are great lessons here about being a citizen and some about being an employee.

Am I a cog who operates at the whim of a management structure or am I a member of a team able to shape and improve for the betterment of myself, the team and the corporation? I choose to be the latter because to do otherwise is go give up my power, not use my skills and to feel weak. If the great leaders in history needed to be shown the way by the people from time to time then all along the management chain there is opportunity to harness the skills, talent and passion of people at various levels to improve both the products we make and the process we use to do so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A People's History of the United States.

08/21/2016 marked as: read