Olivia's Reviews > Grave Mercy

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

bookshelves: favorites, all-time-favorites, reread
Read 2 times. Last read December 27, 2018 to January 1, 2019.

~ second read, December 2018-January 2019 ~

It felt so good to return to these characters, to this world. I remembered most of the story, but was refreshed by the humor and the romance. Nothing has changed since I originally read this novel — I still absolutely adore it. It’s very likely that I’ll reread it again later in the year. Now to keep on with book two!

~ first read, May 2017 ~

THIS BOOK, PEOPLE.

I think this might be the start of an obsession similar to Vampire Academy and Bloodlines, if that tells you anything. This book was AMAZING.

» I read it in 2 days. Granted, it could be because it's summer and I've got nothing better to do, but I wouldn't binge a book that was only okay. This was captivating and had me hooked from the beginning.

» I thought it took place in 15th century France. While it does take place in that time period, it's actually in Brittany, a small neighboring country France was trying to take over. But there were still French influences, and that made me happy.

» 90% of this story was based on real history. I had to read the author's note to find out, because who pays attention in history class, honestly. That aside, though, it came off as very well-researched. Why can't stuff like THIS be used to teach?? But anyway. From Anne taking power at only 12, to a court of people that betrayed her, and more, it actually happened. Although the best parts were fictional, it was still cool.

» Ismae. YES, GIRL. She's honestly like a combination of Celaena Sardothien and Rose Hathaway, but in medieval Europe. Celaena and Rose are two of my all-time favorites, so OF COURSE I love Ismae. She started out as a wary 14-year-old girl that escapes a brutal marriage and is taken to train for 3 years at a convent full of assassins. Then she's 17, and she's out on missions killing people and being freaking awesome. I loved her knack for poison, and the way she hid weapons all over the underside of her dresses, and that she was in general just done with everyone's drama. I just loved her, okay.

» The relationships were golden. Ismae's friendships with the other girls at the convent, her bond with Anne as the girl struggled with power and looming war, her hate-to-love romance with Gavriel. It's all amazing. Other characters worth mentioning are Beast and de Lornay. YES. The two of them, on their own and with Gavriel. Also, Anne's love for her younger sister Isabeau was so sweet.

» This story wasn't super fast-paced, but it was intriguing nonetheless. It was full of suspense, court drama, betrayal, budding romance, the struggle of balancing duty and heart, and more. It was fabulous, don't argue with me on that.

» The last 150 pages were the best part. So much action. So many emotions. Also, I'm not sure whether to praise or complain the amount of heartbreak and fear I felt? I loved it, but at the same time that's just rude. Honestly.

(That last bit was meant as a joke.)

So, I think I covered everything. Needless to say, I loved this book so much and it's totally a new favorite. I need the second book immediately, please and thank you. 😍

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Mercy.

July 23, 2015 – Shelved
July 23, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
May 29, 2017 – Started Reading
May 29, 2017 –
page 94
16.32% "started this yesterday and omg it's so good so far!!"
page 172
29.86% "did it have to be the horse? ●︿●"
page 250
43.4% "O M G"
page 279
48.44% "d'Albret (ง’̀-‘́)ง"
page 313
54.34% "GOSH DANG IT I LIKED *PERSON*"
page 347
60.24% "ahh shipping theeeeeeeem"
May 31, 2017 –
page 500
86.81% "books shouldn't break my heart like this, omg"
May 31, 2017 – Shelved as: favorites
May 31, 2017 – Finished Reading
March 5, 2018 – Shelved as: all-time-favorites
December 27, 2018 – Started Reading
December 27, 2018 –
page 94
16.32% "now that I know what I do, I find Ismae and Gavriel’s repulsion toward each other very amusing."
December 27, 2018 –