Mrklingon's Reviews > Aftermath

Aftermath by Chuck Wendig

bookshelves: star-wars

Logging a re-read, post "The Force Awakens." I'm even more impressed by this after having seen the movie twice. Wendig does a good job laying down a lot of the bits and pieces that establish the new canon of the post Endor era in Star Wars. Looking forward to Life Debt.

---

Non-stop. Excellent reboot of the post "Return of the Jedi" era.

Taking nothing away from the classics now deemed "Legends," Wendig launches a great story, well paced and with plenty of twists and turns. The measure (to me) of a good Star Wars novel is one that turns the dial of "fantasy" down and the dial of "hard SF" way up. Zahn is a master of that, along with Karen Traviss - authors who can take the Universe of the GFFA and build a credible hard SF story in it.

Wendig likewise draws in the vocabulary, races and settings of Star Wars, and builds a fun, thrilling story - I hope to see more!

It's interesting also, to see how the tone and ideas can reflect our times. Disillusioned soldiers, PTSD, liberated lands with crumbling infrastructure - there's things in here that give you a way to reflect on our own galaxy, not so far away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aftermath.

July 23, 2015 – Shelved