Dominica Phetteplace's Reviews > See Jane Write: A Girl's Guide to Writing Chick Lit

See Jane Write by Sarah Mlynowski

Jan 24, 2008

liked it

Reading about writing is a lot easier than writing itself, hence the appeal of how-to books such as this one. I've only read one chick-lit book in my life, The Nanny Diaries, and it was the worst book I've ever read. Ever. But it had the perverse affect of launching my career as a writer. "I could do better than this," I thought. And I did.
The pleasure of See Jane Write is humorous tone, which alternates between gentle encouragement and a tough-love sensibility. There is lots of basic advice here about creating characters, plotting, style and other fundamentals that will be of use to new writers. The multitude of excerpts and examples from actual chick-lit novels that are helpful, even if the books themselves are not that good. The best part of this book is the "No More Excuses, Missy" chapter that helps you identify which personality flaw is keeping you from finishing your book. Mine is being too busy. Book says: "If J.K. Rowling can do it, so can you. If you want to write badly enough, you will make it a priority." Yes, of course. That's when I should have put this book down to work on my own. I didn't, so maybe I'm actually a procrastinator. The book prescription for this is a write-and-reward program, suggested bribes include donuts, TV time and shoes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read See Jane Write.

Started Reading
December 1, 2007 – Finished Reading
January 24, 2008 – Shelved

message 1: by Melinda (new)

Melinda You find such wonderful books! I'm writing a chick-lit right now--I'm going to have to read (or at least skim) this one. Thank you!

Dominica Phetteplace Thanks Melinda! I'm sure you're going to do a great job, then my goodreads review can read "Ms. Thielbar shows the rest of us how it's done." Can't wait.