Cait Jacobs (Caitsbooks)'s Reviews > In The Afterlight

In The Afterlight by Alexandra Bracken

bookshelves: made-me-cry, reviewed-for-blog, reviewed

Overall: 5/5 Stars
Characters: 5/5
Setting: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Plot and Themes: 5/5
Awesomeness Factor: 5/5
Review in a Nutshell: In The Afterlight was the perfect conclusion to an epic series.

“Black is the color of memory.
It is our color.
The only one they'll use to tell our story.”

Blog || Tumblr|| Bookstagram || Twitter

In The Afterlight takes place right after the ending of Never Fade, with the characters working out how to go on with their goals despite that major setback and the heartbreaking ending of the previous book.

The setting in this series continues to be amazing. In this book, we finally get a lot of answers (about the rest of the world, IAAN, and so many things). These answers all are definitely satisfying and make sense but also manage to be surprising.

Alexandra Bracken's writing style also is just as amazing as before. Her prose is absolutely beautiful while continuing to have those moments of levity and humor.

It's not a burden if people are willing to carry it."

The plot in In The Afterlight is probably the least action packed. While I couldn't put it down, I could see some people losing interest in the first half of the book. That section tends to focus more on character development and relationships, planning, and setting up for the second half. I still found it enjoyable, but it does slow the pace.

It is so strange looking back on the first book after seeing the characters in this conclusion. They've grown and changed so much! Ruby definitely has undergone the most drastic transformation, but it feels organic and real. Sometimes her character did annoy me in this book (there was a definite lack of communication between her and certain characters that left me so frustrated), but overall she's a fascinating protagonist. Cole really wormed his way into my heart over the course of this book. And Zu, Vida, Chubs, and Liam were all as amazing as always. Liam is still a sweetheart and needs to be protected (mostly from himself, let's be honest).

This series was just so fantastic, and it couldn't have had a better conclusion. I am so glad I was able to read this and I can't wait to see what Alexandra Bracken does with The Darkest Legacy!

“They'd never fade, even in the afterlight of all of this”

Pros- The characters are still perfection, the writing is gorgeous, the setting just keeps getting even more amazing!
Cons- Slower start than the others
Overall- 5/5 stars.
In The Afterlight is fantastic. The journeys of these beloved characters comes to a beautiful end with this amazing novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In The Afterlight.

Quotes Cait Liked

Alexandra Bracken
“It rained the day they brought us to Thurmond.
And it rained the day I walked out.”

Alexandra Bracken
“Black is the color that is no color at all.
Black is the color of a child's still, empty bedroom. The heaviest hour of night-the one that traps you in your bunk, suffocating in another nightmare. It is a uniform stretched over the broad shoulders of an angry young man. Black is the mud, the lidless eye watching your every breath, the low vibrations of the fence that stretches up to tear at the sky.
It is a road. A forgotten night sky broken up by faded stars.
It is the barrel of a new gun, leveled at your heart.
The color of Chubs's hair, Liam's bruises, Zu's eyes.
Black is a promise of tomorrow, bled dry from lies and hate.
Betrayal.
I see it in the face of a broken compass, feel it in the numbing grip of grief.
I run, but it is my shadow. Chasing, devouring, polluting. It is the button that should never have been pushed, the door that shouldn't have opened, the dried blood that couldn't be washed away. It is the charred remains of buildings. The car hidden in the forest, waiting. It is the smoke.
It is the fire.
The spark.
Black is the color of memory.
It is our color.
The only one they'll use to tell our story.”

Alexandra Bracken
“I grabbed Liam's arm as he passed me on his way to the tunnel door, kissing his cheek. "See you later tonight."
He stepped down into the tunnel, shouldering a backpack Cole had left for him there. When I turned to say good-bye to the other Stewart, he'd stooped, turned his cheek toward me, and was waiting. I flicked it with my finger, making him laugh again.
"You're impossible," I informed him.
"It's all part of my charm," he said, shifting the heavy bag on his shoulder. "Take care of things, Boss."
"Take care of him." I said, pointedly.
He gave one last mock salute before shutting the door to the tunnel. I waited until the sound of his and the others' steps faded completely before locking the door after him.”

Alexandra Bracken
“Thing is, though, fear is worthless. It stops you when you need to keep moving most. And it only exists inside of your head.”
Alexandra Bracken, In the Afterlight

Alexandra Bracken
“And the open road rolled out in front of us.”

July 23, 2015 – Shelved
July 23, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
July 16, 2018 – Started Reading
July 16, 2018 –
page 444
82.99% "Alexandra Bracken has a unique talent for making me want to cry in every book"
July 16, 2018 – Shelved as: made-me-cry