Jo-Ann Duff (Duffy The Writer)'s Reviews > Tom Houghton

Tom Houghton by Todd Alexander

Jul 23, 2015

Tom Houghton is twelve years old. He is different and the others know it. Some tiptoe around it, whisper loudly about it, some bully him mercilessly, and very few embrace him for it.

Fast forward to Tom Houghton at forty. The book unfolds as we wind our way through time; from that little boy growing up in 70’s Sydney, to Tom’s adult life, which has become an extraordinarily fucked up mess.

Very few books give me a book hangover, and I had not found a book this year which I fully immersed myself in. Tom Houghton is that book. The prose is so detailed and offers up the delicate scents, nuances and body language which places you in Toms world, a world that is tough, chaotic and a confusing place to be at times.

Do you ever let your mind wander back to childhood? Those times when the kids at school were incredibly mean to you and the memory stings to recall? The dread of going to school and waking in the morning to icy cold fingers around your heart, making you feel heavy, scared and full of dread? Do you ever think back to a time when you were nothing short of spiteful to a loved one and you lurch a little with shame? This book, be warned, will bring those feelings back; pricking at your conscience as you turn the pages and live Tom’s story along with your own.

Tom Houghton is incredibly raw and sad to read at times, but it is equally compelling and not all doom and gloom. The friendship between adult Tom and his friend Hanna is quick witted, smart and sarcastic. There are loving, warm moments too, along with the madness which every family deals with.

Ultimately I wanted to cuddle little Tom Houghton, take him for a Milo and tell him he could be whoever he wanted to be, but that it was fine to just be himself too. I was glad he was fictional and didnt have to deal with the tough moments that far too many kids have to put up with.

Clever, raw, and heartbreakingly sad at times. Tom Houghton will give you a soulful book hangover.

Pick so far for 2015 5 out of 5 stars.

Release October 2015 - Pre Order from Book Depository
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tom Houghton.

Started Reading