Terri's Reviews > Wild Magic

Dec 09, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy, high-fantasy
Read in April, 2010

This is one of those books that Susie lent to me when we did our “books we read when we were in middle school or thereabouts” swap. This series takes place a few years after the end of the Alanna series I reviewed last time.

The heroine this time around is Daine, thirteen-years-old, orphaned, homeless, and oh: she can communicate with animals. She can mind-speak with them, and therefore she understands much more about “the People” (as they refer to themselves) than your average human. This is Daine’s gift, wild magic. Daine takes on with Onua, the horsemaster for the Queen’s Riders. On their way to Tortall to deliver horses, Daine senses a wrongness, which turns out to be Stormwings, a mythical pack of bird monsters who feed on death and war. Onua and Daine save a hawk that’s being chased, whom Onua recognizes as the shapeshifted form of Numair, one of the most powerful mages in the realm.

When Daine helps Numair recover his true form and get better, he recognizes her wild magic and decides to help her learn to control it. They continue on to Tortall and then over to Pirate’s Swoop, where we see George (woot!). Carthaki invaders start to attack the fort, and Daine pretty much saves the day. It’s awesome.

Three stars for a book well written. I’m not an animal person myself, so I was a little hesitant to start this one, what with the ever growing stack of books waiting to be read for the first time, and the numerous titles that I want to reread bouncing around in my head. Once I finished Wild Magic, though, I hopped out of bed to grab the second in the series, Wolf-speaker. I tore thru WS in a day or two and I’m waiting impatiently for my local library to get the next two in the series. Since I clearly like this author, I can’t go out and buy the whole series at Barnes and Noble like I did with the previous series. Go libraries!
Cross posted: http://starlightbookreviews.wordpress...

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Magic.