Sarah's Reviews > Magic Binds

Magic Binds by Ilona Andrews

bookshelves: books-i-own-kindle, netgalley, for-review-read, favorites, read-in-2016, books-i-own-print, read-in-2018
Read 4 times. Last read July 28, 2018 to July 29, 2018.

1st Read - July 2016
2nd Read - September 2017
3rd Read - May 2018
4th Read - July 2018

Full Review

I honestly don't know Ilona and Gordon Andrews do it but the Kate Daniels series just gets better and better with every book. We're heading to the end of the series now (just one more book to go *sob*) so everything is building up and falling into place ready for the big finale and the only word to accurately describe Magic Binds is epic. The stakes are higher than you could possibly imagine, the confrontation between Kate and Roland is closer than ever before and shit just got real.

It's so hard to write a review for a book that's so amazing because I want to talk about all the things but at the same time I don't want to mention any of them and unintentionally spoiler people. Just trust me when I say this has all the humour you've come to expect from the series as well as some beautiful and heart wrenching moments. Kate shows a little of her dark side, Curran proves beyond a shadow of doubt what a perfect couple they make, Julie has me a little worried but I'm going to trust her to do the right thing, Ronan is the most hilarious wedding planner you could ever come across, Christopher remembers something very important and leaves Barabas looking rather flustered, Andrea and Raphael prepare for a new arrival, Jim is his usual idiot self but Dali sets him straight when he needs it, Derek frustrated me by not believing in Kate when he should have but at the same time made my heart melt because he was just trying to protect Julie, the shock reappearance of an old character was absolute genius and then there's Roland, loving father one minute, crazy dictator the next Roland is a complex character but one who can never be trusted.

I've already devoured this epic rollercoaster of a book twice and I'm contemplating reading it for a third time just because I still have such a book hangover and no other book is able to compete. There aren't any other series that come anywhere close to this one, it's urban fantasy at it's very finest and I'm not going to know what to do with myself when I don't have my yearly dose of new Kate to look forward to. At least I'll still have my annual reread to help with the withdrawal symptoms and of course everything Ilona and Gordon write in the future will jump straight to the top of my to read pile.

Source: Received via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

__________________

1st Read Rambling

30th July:
This book was EPIC! I know I'm a total Ilona Andrews fangirl but the series really does get better and better with every instalment. I'm planning on reading this again after I've finished my series reread so I'll review it properly then but for now I'm just going to say: Kate has a dark side, Roman is a hilarious wedding planner, a VERY unexpected person make a reappearance and they do it in style, Roland is up to his old tricks and we finally find out more about Christopher's background. And that's not even half of what happens in this book! It's almost too good to handle and I can't wait to reread slowly and fully savour it the second time around (I totally read it in 2 sittings last time, it would have been one but sleep got the better of me halfway through thanks to the 2:18am start time LOL)

Thoughts before reading:
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG I GOT APPROVED ON NETGALLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I'm about to die of excitement over here.

Question: Do I start reading this now even though it's 2:18 am or do I try and sleep and start it tomorrow?

Aaahh screw it, I don't know why I even asked - OF COURSE I'm going to start it NOW!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Binds.

Quotes Sarah Liked

Ilona Andrews
“Yes,” Curran said. “We’d like you to officiate.”

“I’m sorry?”

“We’d like you to marry us,” I said.

Roman’s eyes went wide. He pointed to himself. “Me?”

“Yes,” Curran said.

“Marry you?”

“Yes.”

“You do know what I do, right?”

“Yes,” I said. “You’re Chernobog’s priest.”

Ilona Andrews
“I hadn’t crossed the line. I’d ridden an elephant up to it and run back and forth along its edge while a mariachi band played in the background, but I hadn’t crossed it.”

Ilona Andrews
“No.” Roman got up off his chair. “The wedding night is for you and Curran. The wedding is for everyone else and it’s the price you pay so you can get to the wedding night.”

Ilona Andrews
“You should’ve let me twist his head off,” Mahon said. “You can’t let people insult your wife, Curran. One day you’ll have to choose diplomacy or your spouse. I’m telling you now, it’s got to be your wife. Diplomacy doesn’t care if you live or die. Your wife does.”

Ilona Andrews
“May your life be rich in blessings and poor in misfortunes. May you see your children’s children grow up and make you proud. May your fights be short, your laughter loud, and your passion hot. May you live long and die happy.”

Ilona Andrews
“When some supernatural filth tries to carry off the children, call Roman so he can wade through blood and sewage to rescue them, but when it’s something nice like a wedding or a naming, oh no, we can’t have Chernobog’s volhv involved. It’s bad luck. Get Nikolai. When he finds out who I’m going to marry, he’ll have an aneurysm. His head will explode. It’s good that he’s a doctor, maybe he can treat himself.”
tags: humor

Ilona Andrews
“Do you remember when we went to the Black Sea and you pretended to be infatuated with Lorelei?” “Not that again.” His face shut down. “I’m going to do something very dangerous and stupid. I’ve done some idiotic things in my life, but this takes the cake.” “Tell me.” “No.” Gold rolled over his eyes. “What do you mean, no?” “If I tell you, you will stop me from doing it.” “Now you have to tell me.” I shook my head. “I’m calling in the Lorelei favor. You have to let me run with this.” “Kate!” “No.”

Ilona Andrews
“Did you run any of this by Curran?”
“I told him I was about to do something idiotic and dangerous, and he told me to go ahead and let him know if he could help in any way.”
“I don’t understand your relationship.”

July 22, 2015 – Shelved
July 22, 2015 – Shelved as: wishlist
July 29, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 29, 2016 – Shelved as: books-i-own-kindle
July 29, 2016 – Shelved as: netgalley
July 29, 2016 –
1.0% "I can't believe I'm actually reading this book!!! To say I'm excited would be an incredible understatement. This is going to be amazing, I just know it will :-)"
July 30, 2016 – Started Reading
July 30, 2016 –
22.0% "OMG that moment was so perfect I have tears in my eyes!! This series <3<3<3"
July 30, 2016 –
45.0% "Holy crap the revelations just keep on coming! This book is sooooo damn good"
July 30, 2016 –
86.0% "I've been trying so hard not to post quotes all the way through this but I had to give a little one!\n \n "...You're like a crazy cat lady, but you collect killers instead of cats."\n \n LMAO\n \n This book is awesome guys! Everything I could have wished for and then some!!"
July 30, 2016 –
99.0% "I don't think that could possibly have been more perfect! I actually cried happy tears at the end!! Love, love, LOVED it & I'm already looking forward to rereading it :-)"
July 30, 2016 – Shelved as: for-review-read
July 30, 2016 – Shelved as: favorites
July 30, 2016 – Shelved as: read-in-2016
July 30, 2016 – Finished Reading
September 15, 2016 –
1.0% "Yes I'm reading this for the second time in less than 2 months and I have no shame admiting it, books this good deserve to be devoured on a regular basis LOL"
September 16, 2016 – Started Reading
September 16, 2016 –
24.0% ""Did you run any of this by Curran?"\n"I told him I was about to do something idiotic and dangerous, and he told me to go ahead and let him know if he could help in any way."\n"I don't understand your relationship."\n\nWhat's so hard to understand? They always have each other's backs, no matter what kind of crazy they're up against or how bad the odds are. I love that about Kate & Curran :-)"
September 16, 2016 –
38.0% "I hadn't crossed the line. I'd ridden an elephant up to it and run back and forth along its edge while a mariachi band played in the background, but I hadn't crossed it.\n\nI bloody love that line! Well done Jessica :-)"
September 17, 2016 –
99.0% "I loved this even more the second time around :-) Just so many amazing things packed into one story!!!"
September 17, 2016 – Finished Reading
May 4, 2017 – Shelved as: books-i-own-print
May 30, 2018 – Started Reading
May 31, 2018 –
39.0% "That conversation with Kate and Derek is so painful. Even though I get where he’s coming from it hurts that he doesn’t fully trust Kate"
May 31, 2018 –
47.0% “You’re not a wedding planner, you’re a menace. Stop planning my wedding.”

“I’ll stop when you start.”

I love Roman as a wedding planner, he’s hilarious and let’s face it absolutely nothing would be organised without him!"
May 31, 2018 –
55.0% "Awww Christopher ❤️ I really enjoyed finding out more about him & why he is the way he is! His character is brilliant"
June 1, 2018 –
99.0% "I love the last few chapters of this book SO HARD! I’m so glad that it’s nearly time for Magic Triumphs, I need to know what happens next!

In the meantime I think I might just have to reread Hugh’s book for the second time this week 😂"
June 1, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
June 1, 2018 – Finished Reading
July 28, 2018 – Started Reading
July 29, 2018 –
99.0% "I’ve been flying through this reread too fast to even post updates but I’m loving every minute of it! These books really are ridiculously good 😃"
July 29, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Robin (Bridge Four) *high five* best decision ever :P

Nafeeza You are very wise! Lol.

Jilly Awesome! And, yes, always start a book at 2:18 am if it involves Kate Daniels. ;)

Marta Cox I got approved today as well, yippee

Holly My Netgalley % is sooo bad. But I'm going to try anyway!!

Sarah I'm ridiculously late replying to these comments but it WAS a brilliant decision to start it in the middle of the night LOL. I'm already planning a reread so I'm ready to post a proper review on the release day :-)

I'm glad you all loved it and I hope you got approved too Holly!