Caitlin Hannah 's Reviews > The Martian

The Martian by Andy Weir

liked it
bookshelves: 2016-reading-challenge

Ehhhhh? 3.5 stars? There is some really funny and interesting stuff in here, and I certainly understand why so many people have liked it. I enjoyed it, but this is the first time I can ever remember feeling decisively that the movie was better.

In some ways I'm glad I watched the movie first, because I could envision what was happening as the story moved along, which was helpful when things got too sciencey. The down side is that I felt bored at times hearing all the sciency-y stuff (I listened to the audiobook), and my mind would wander and this I missed things and had to rewind.

I don't have a lot to add other than what others have already said: Funny! Interesting! Compelling! But as a story, for me, for the type of book I like, there was too much dry science and not enough of the human emotion side of things. I get that Watney is so focused on survival that he's doing whatever it takes, but he found more things to say about disco music than his semi-certain, imminent death and on the one hand I kind of get it! On the other, it felt like a little something was missing.

If you felt similarly, I highly recommend the movie. To me it struck the perfect balance of emotional realness, science, fun, comedy, and suspense. It also did a nice job of wrapping up the ending, which I felt was rushed in the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Martian.

July 22, 2015 – Shelved
July 22, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
February 9, 2016 – Started Reading
February 17, 2016 –
8.0% "The audiobook was a good choice, and for once I'm glad I'm reading it *after* seeing the movie. So much science!"
February 23, 2016 –
February 26, 2016 –
March 18, 2016 – Finished Reading
December 26, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-reading-challenge

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Jess THIIIIS. Exactly. You're about to die and nothing? No reflections on life or a note to a loved one? When Matt Damon cried during the movie (albeit when he was leaving Mars I think) I wanted to stand up and say, "yes! Tears! Finally!"