☽ TheBibliotheque's Reviews > Oblivion

Oblivion by Jennifer L. Armentrout

bookshelves: faves-young-adult
Read 2 times. Last read December 2, 2015 to December 10, 2015.

“Want to throw another adverb in there?”

Well, yes. I’ll tell you something else: if your answer to my question is YES, then you absolutely and immediately need to read Oblivion.

If I remember correctly, it was during Christmas last year that I read – or more like devoured – the Lux series. This was during my pre-bibliotheque reader’s life, so I never put together a review for it. To be honest, I don’t think I could do it now, not even if I re-read the series.

Now that I’ve kind of re-read the whole story, from Daemon’s pov no less, I realise… Holy baby aliens, how I've missed this series. And Daemon Black.

Having said that, I’d like to warn you, this will not be a well structured review and… well let’s not even call it a review. Let’s just say this is where I’ll channel all the fangirling acquired while reading Oblivion before I explode and tell a random friend who could not care less about the last perfect book-boyfriend I’m obsessing with. Because honestly? You guys will understand.

So, there we go.

First of all, if you don’t have your Oblivion copy yet, and you are wondering whether to get the ebook or the paperback: GO FOR THE EBOOK.

If you get the ebook – or digital version or whatever you want to call it – instead of the paperback, you’ll get Daemon’s pov for Obsidian, Onyx and Opal (books #1, 2 & 3 of the series). YES! That means 3 times more of DAEMON thoughts and awesomeness.

“… but my 6-foot something awesome frame and movie-star good looks – well, those just fit my stellar personality.”

Now, the greatness of reading a story you loved from a different pov. Well, what can I say about that that you don’t already know? It offers the reader all the details necessary to complete the story. In this particular case, and if you’ve read the Lux series – if not, I don’t know what are you waiting for, really – you know Daemon is a complete ass to Kat. We learn later the reasons for his buttface behavour, but reading Oblivion will let you see his other face from the beginning. This fight with himself over his feelings for Kat. And how, the more he denies them, the more he’s falling for her.

“Huh. Perhaps I was a bit too much of a dick the first two times I talked to her. Good thing she didn’t know I briefly considered burning her house down.”

If I’d have to describe Daemon’s character to a non-Lux-reader I think the conversation would go totally wrong. You see? Daemon is an ass most of the times, probably the perfect example of overconfident and bad boy trope that deny their feelings. Of course, that’s something often seen in young adult literature, and maybe one of the recycled ways a love story will go. However, when it comes to JLA, everything you've seen falls off the table. She builds her stories in a way that will make you get over all this maybe lack of originality you've seen in the past, and turn it into something ADDICTIVE. I guarantee you, you’ll just love every part of it. You won't be able to get enough of it.

“And I also knew I needed to get off her before I engaged in total dumbassery.”

The thing is, Daemon is not only the perfect example of the bad boy trope, he also exemplifies the sweetest…

“I don’t know how to make you better. I wish I did, but please stay with me. I need you, and I can’t lose you. Not now. Not ever.”

… and perfect-est male character.

“I would burn down the whole universe for her if I had to. I would do anything to keep her safe. Kill. Heal. Die. Anything. Because she was my everything.”

So, yep, a part from that, I’ll ask you again the same question: Did you read the Lux series and fall madly, deeply,and irrevocably in love with Daemon Black? Yes? Then, you need to read Oblivion. Be ready for sassy, swoon worthy, sweet, sexy and a whole lot of awesome.

Daemon Black might be a lot of things, but for me he is one of THE book boyfriends, so I couldn’t be happier to read his side of the story – like, screaming inside happy.

Oh, before I go, by the time you finish reading Oblivion, you’ll want to read again Origin and Opposition. Make some space in your tbr list. You’ve been warned.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oblivion.

Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
July 22, 2015 – Shelved
July 22, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
July 22, 2015 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
July 26, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
December 2, 2015 – Started Reading
December 10, 2015 – Finished Reading
July 5, 2019 – Shelved as: faves-young-adult

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Alyse I love this series so much! I just reread all three of the originals like a few months back and Im really glad I waited to read Oblivion before Origin and Opposition. I am loving having the books in Daemons POV. Im on Opal now and I just can't stop smiling.

Zoë Ann Rereading this series and I'm so grateful to know about the bonus content in the ebook!! Wish that was advertised better but psyched for even more of Daemons POV than I got the first time <3

☽ TheBibliotheque Zoë Ann wrote: "Rereading this series and I'm so grateful to know about the bonus content in the ebook!! Wish that was advertised better but psyched for even more of Daemons POV than I got the first time <3"

YES! OMG - to be fair, when this book came out, it was never really clear where the bonus content would be included. So I'd thought to add it here on my review. Always happy to chat with a Lux fangirl <3