Rachel's Reviews > The Smoke Thief

Dec 08, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: nookbooks, paranormal-romance
Read from January 05 to 09, 2011 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** I wanted to love this book. I really did. The friend who recommended it to me couldn't stop raving about the series. I've loved every other book she's recommended to me, and I really enjoy fantasy/paranormal romances. But, this was just bad.

My biggest problem was the hero. Kit was an ass, through and through. He states multiple times that he will sleep with the heroine, even if he has to rape her. When they finally do have sex, Kit mentions that Rue keeps trying to pull away from him, but he doesn't care. It's all very awkward, and made me rather uncomfortable. I don't have a problem with rape in books, if it is important to the story, but this was presented as romantic. And it wasn't.

At one point, Kit gets a horrible blood infection. I was really hoping it would kill him. But, alas.

The fantasy elements in this book are also not what I had hoped. They can turn into smoke and dragons, but it's not really used for anything, except a stupid plot device.

All in all, the best part of the book in the Prologue. It's beautifully written, and talks about the backstory of the drakón...a story that sounds much more interesting than the one we were actually told.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Smoke Thief.

10/06/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Meg (new) - rated it 1 star

Meg I agree 100% actually. I'd happily read a thousand pages of the prologue, but everything else was just awful, Twilight-esque romanticised abuse. Awful stuff.
More Zane and Rue up to London shenanigans, less awful "romance, fate, drama!" please.