Kelly (and the Book Boar)'s Reviews > Ugly Love

Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover

Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“That’s how it is when a person develops an attraction toward someone. He’s nowhere, then suddenly he’s everywhere, whether you want him to be or not.”

Houston commercial photography

Is this what a midlife crisis looks like??? WTF is happening to me?!?!?!?! Did CoHo slip some quaaludes into this book????

Houston commercial photography

Where do I even begin? Let’s start with how I don’t put any weight on the Goodreads ratings of a book before I decide to read it. Especially when said book falls in the NA/romance/erotica category. There are so many fangirls who follow the authors in these genres who begin 5 Starring books as soon as they are announced, but are barely more than an idea that the rating is always padded. (I won’t get into the bumping of these non-reviews for months on end before the final product is actually released – do people get paid to be professional fans?) I do, however, glance at the ratings of my friends/people I follow – and this one didn’t do so great. LOTS of 1 Stars. Zoinks! However, the thousand degree temperatures were going to break for a day, I wanted to sit outside with a frosty beverage and read fluff, CoHo writes well (even when it’s a book I end up hating), and Ugly Love was available in paperbook format for immediate checkout from the library so it was the winner.

I’m gonna go ahead and get the bad stuff out of the way. I realize that it has become a CoHo calling card of sorts to write her stories with chapters that alternate between both the female and male MC’s perspectives. I also understand that Miles’ story needed to be told somehow. I just HATED the way he told it! His narration style that began as soon as the name “Rachel” was announced was all very “the most beautiful sound I ever heard” . . . .

Houston commercial photography

and it made me want to puke. I’m not opposed to free association or writing in verse, but this was just like . . . centered on the page paragraphs. What was the point? To give definitive, identifiable proof that he was the angstiest star-crossed lover who ever loved? Blech! Not to mention the fact that “Flashback Miles” was sooooo one-dimensional. His backstory could have easily been revealed without those horrible chapters at all. (I’m telling you, this could have received all 5 Stars from me if my fantasies of making much of the sexy with Miles Archer wouldn’t have kept getting interrupted by the boner killer version of Miles Archer.)

Alright. Now that that’s out of the way, I’ll move on to what I loved (and what everyone else hated – whoops). Like nearly all romance books Ugly Love featured a tired trope. This time it was one of my faves . . . .

Houston commercial photography

I know many people hate the “friends with benefits” storyline with a passion, but I dig it. The only thing I didn’t like? Tate’s initial reaction:

“He just admitted that he wants to have sex with me; he just doesn’t want it to lead to anything. I don’t know why this flatters me. It should make me want to punch him.”

Why? Why isn’t it okay for two people who find each other attractive to have sex? I mean, I know in a romance novel things will get convoluted and yada yada yada before the big happily ever after, but in real life? Why not? Hell, if I was the one who moved across the hall from Miles Archer????

Houston commercial photography

The bit of self-doubt aside, I loved Tate and she made me chortle several times . . .

“You want to have sex with me? I’ll totally let you. A lot.”

Speaking of sex. This was my first encounter with actual sex scenes rather than the fade-to-black kind I have found in all of the other New Adult books I’ve read. Let me tell you CoHo can write some sex. Holy hell – did someone turn the heat up???? I squick out sooooo easily with talk about the various “C” describing words and “climate control” problems of a lady’s nether-yay-ya. Ugly Love had none of that. It was just H.O.T. . . . .

“He loses his smile and takes three deliberately slow steps toward me. I stop smiling, because he is seriously intimidating. When he reaches me, he places his hands on either side of me, then leans in close to my neck. ‘It’s been six years, Tate. Believe me when I tell you . . . I’m ready.’”

After that I was all like . . .

Houston commercial photography

Maybe this was just the right place/right time for me. Maybe I finally drank some of that CoHo Kool-Aid. Who knows? All I know is I’m glad I kept giving Hoover’s books a shot and Miles Archer most definitely got me ready for take-off ; )

Houston commercial photography

(Oh, and also because of this review Mitchell isn't speaking to me at the moment. I'm trying to win him back by reading about a 13-year old rapey prince who also enjoys the stabby-stabby. Wish me luck!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ugly Love.

July 22, 2015 – Started Reading
July 22, 2015 – Shelved
page 1
0.3% "Because I actually want to read Love May Fail, but it hasn't queued up at the library yet and also because nothing is more fun than potentially pissing off CoHo fangirls if I end up not enjoying this one : )"
page 45
13.35% "Apparently they are trying to crowd fund this into a movie, which I'm not sure of . . . but then I saw THIS:\n \n Houston commercial photography\n \n is the guy they want to play Miles which gave me some "crowd funding" in my pants and now I might have to make a donation to the film."
page 83
24.63% ""The word yes is so much more beautiful coming from his mouth, laced with that voice. He could probably make any word beautiful. I try to think of a word I hate. I kind of hate the word ox."\n \n OX? How 'bout something really icky like "moist" . . . \n \n Houston commercial photography"
July 22, 2015 – Finished Reading
July 23, 2015 – Shelved as: hide-the-salami
July 23, 2015 – Shelved as: liburrrrrry-book
July 23, 2015 – Shelved as: pretty-on-the-outside
July 23, 2015 – Shelved as: read-in-2015

message 1: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Oh?? This surprises me?! This one appears to be quite polarized.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) No one is more surprised than me LOL!

message 3: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Haha ok, I might put this back in the "maybe" file

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne I may the to check this one out now, loser!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) If you read it, SKIM the flashback chapters. They made me extra ragey, but they were super short and pretty far-between. You also have to be okay with "no strings attached" sex where the guy REALLY means it.

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne Ack! Shit! Autocorrect, you bastard.
I meant to type Lover.
Which, is slightly more complimentary...

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Anne wrote: "I may the to check this one out now, loser!"

No one else likes it. Consider yourself warned loser lover : )

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne I should have just typed Kelly-the-middle-aged-ho-bag-who-drools-over-much-younger-men.
But...it hit too close to home.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Guilty as charged! I mean, just look at him . . .

Houston commercial photography

Brittany ♥♥~Proud Hufflepuff and supporter of S.P.E.W. ~♥♥ I have literally watched this gif the entire 5 minutes since you posted it...it has increased my mood exponentially :)

message 11: by Carole (new)

Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books) Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Guilty as charged! I mean, just look at him . . .

"

Now I have to try to stop looking at him so I can get some work done.

message 12: by Casey (new) - added it

Casey I'm just here for the gifs. Which are epic as always.

Actually, I briefly considered this one bc one of my friends has turned me into a reader of smut (I won't mention names, she knows who she is) but I was warned about the poetry shtick. That kind of stuff makes me stabby stabby so I can understand why Mitchell is trying to get you back to the dark side as soon as possible.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Ha! Glad to help : )

Houston commercial photography

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Casey wrote: "I was warned about the poetry shtick. That kind of stuff makes me stabby stabby so I can understand why Mitchell is trying to get you back to the dark side as soon as possible...."

I think knowing about the writing style in advance helped me prepare to stop myself from flipping out. Also, the hot sex made up for it : )

Brittany ♥♥~Proud Hufflepuff and supporter of S.P.E.W. ~♥♥ you had me at hot sex...and the gifs, oh yes those lovely, lovely gifs o.o

Valerie (Howler_Puff) I love the last part of your review!

message 17: by Paige (new)

Paige  Bookdragon I dig the Nick Bateman gif... Woohoo!

message 18: by Ɗắɳ 2.☊ (new)

Ɗắɳ  2.☊ LOL at that Cosby pic....but, too soon!

Damn it, I loved Cosby :|

Kelly (and the Book Boar) IT'S NEVER TOO SOON!

message 20: by Alissa (new) - added it

Alissa Patrick omg you LIKED this???? I've seen so many 1-star reviews I havent even added it.. but you liked this????

I don't know what to do now. My whole world is topsy turvy

⚔ Sh3lly - Cranky Crone of Rabid Hedgehogs and Fire Breathing Kittens ⚔ HAHA great review! I have never read a CoHo, but I do admit to shamelessly bumping my pre-Morning Star review because I'm such a fangirl over that trilogy and any news about it makes me so excited and I have to share it. LOL @ that sploosh gif. What is that from anyway?

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Alissa wrote: "omg you LIKED this???? I've seen so many 1-star reviews I havent even added it.. but you liked this????"

I'm going to blame it on my period.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Sh3lly (Not all those who wander are lost) wrote: "LOL @ that sploosh gif. What is that from anyway?..."

It's from Archer. Pam Poovey is my spirit animal : )

message 24: by Bark (new) - added it

Bark Hmmmm, I may have to check this one out.

⚔ Sh3lly - Cranky Crone of Rabid Hedgehogs and Fire Breathing Kittens ⚔ Archer... I'll have to look into that one. I've heard of it. :)

message 26: by Cathryn (new)

Cathryn Anne wrote: "I should have just typed Kelly-the-middle-aged-ho-bag-who-drools-over-much-younger-men.
But...it hit too close to home."

I'll totally be in this club with you.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Cathryn wrote: "I'll totally be in this club with you."

YOU'RE IN!

Anne, you're not allowed in our clubhouse.

message 28: by Cathryn (new)

Cathryn You should come check out the MacHalo Mansion Harem. Lots of yumminess there.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Ha! You're just trying to trick me into reading Mr. Tingle's books about dinosaur buttsex ; )

message 30: by Casey (new) - added it

Casey Cathryn wrote: "You should come check out the MacHalo Mansion Harem. Lots of yumminess there."

She speaks the truth. I fell in the rabbithole of this conversation thread. It is post after post of the hottest hotties.

In other words, it doesn't suck.

message 31: by Cathryn (new)

Cathryn Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Ha! You're just trying to trick me into reading Mr. Tingle's books about dinosaur buttsex ; )"

That's a totally different thread in the smut room. :)

message 32: by Anne (new)

Anne Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Cathryn wrote: "I'll totally be in this club with you."

YOU'RE IN!

Anne, you're not allowed in our clubhouse."

Hell, I've worked my way into classier clubs...

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Worked the pole, I assume?

message 34: by Sammy (new)

Sammy Loves Books Glad you loved it, Kelly ;o))

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Sammy wrote: "Glad you loved it, Kelly ;o))"

Thanks Sammy! I didn't mean to bump this, but I changed the rating from a 4 to a 5 because I keep comparing other books to it.

⚔ Sh3lly - Cranky Crone of Rabid Hedgehogs and Fire Breathing Kittens ⚔ I'm planning to read this next week! I hope I like it. Popping my CoHo cherry.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) I'm getting ready to write a ranty 1 Star of one of her other books so the fangirls will probably have me drawn and quartered before too long : (

message 38: by Ɗắɳ 2.☊ (new)

Ɗắɳ  2.☊ Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "I'm getting ready to write a ranty 1 Star of one of her other books so the fangirls will probably have me drawn and quartered before too long : ("

Hope so!

message 39: by Anne (new)

Anne Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Worked the pole, I assume?"

I just saw this. *growls*
And if you'd ever seen me dance, you'd know the answer to that question.

Meagan Now I need to know what book you read next - 13-year old rapey prince who also enjoys the stabby-stabby - cause that sounds like something I need to read!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Meagan wrote: "Now I need to know what book you read next - 13-year old rapey prince who also enjoys the stabby-stabby - cause that sounds like something I need to read!"

Ha! It was Prince of Thorns.