Michael's Reviews > A Year in the World: Journeys of a Passionate Traveller

A Year in the World by Frances Mayes

M 50x66

did not like it

I must confess that I haven't finished reading Frances Mayes' A Year in the World. I love travel books, and read a favorable review of this one...reviewers sometimes exaggerate . After a few running starts, the book wound up in the bathroom. Listening to the tap drip was more interesting, so I've moved it to the side of my bed where I read it whenever I'm suffering from insomnia, which is fairly often.

So I pick up A Year in the World, read it for a few pages of it's eternal present tense where Mayes layers on eye-glazing fact after fact about the local history, art, cuisine, or whatever where ever she and poor Ed might find themselves. Her observations spark memories where we're dragged along as she wonders about her future grandchildren and other trivia.

At this point, I'm on page 80. So as a travel book, this is a lousy read. On the other hand, if you can't get to sleep, it's better than a prescription for melatonin. Bring it along on your next transatlantic flight and you'll awaken refreshed, if a bit bored by your mauve dreams.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Year in the World.

Started Reading
September 1, 2007 – Finished Reading
January 24, 2008 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Lois This book has now become a bed-side-table sleep aid.

Debra Krajec I too have had this by my bed for years...not an easy or really satisfying read. It doesn't seem to jive with my impression of Mayes from her other books. This one makes me feel she might be restless or regretful. Maybe it's me, but I get a somewhat sad feeling from this book. Haven't finished it.

Sphinx Feathers I ended up listening to it while cleaning. I liked it, but I couldn't read it.

message 4: by JennanneJ (new) - added it

JennanneJ I'm on year 6 of reading this. About half done.