Lisa's Reviews > Landline

Landline by Rainbow Rowell

bookshelves: 2015, magical-realism, literary-fiction, speculativefiction

In which we find a fairly young couple (late '30s) with two kids and a cracked marriage. Neal, the husband, leaves behind Georgie, the wife, to take the girls back to Nebraska for Christmas. During which time, Georgie has a mental breakdown of sorts, calls Neal on the landline phone (since he doesn't seem to be answering his cell) and discovers she's talking to 1996 Neal, not 2013 Neal. Conflict soon resolved, book ends.

This is my first Rowell book and I know that many of my friends were huge fans of her stuff since Eleanor and Park, so local connections were positive. I found I really liked Rowell's sparse writing. This is not a bad thing by any means; it just means that she's very thoughtful about what she puts on the page. There is less time with superfluous and more time with the plot. Very Hemingwayesque.

Because of this, Rowell's book was easy to fly through and I didn't finish it unsatisfied. I found the story intriguing and the gotcha at the end even had me fooled. I have Attachments next on the list to read so let's see how that compares to Landline.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Landline.

July 21, 2015 – Started Reading