Kiwi's Reviews > The Warrior's Path

The Warrior's Path by Catherine M. Wilson

bookshelves: 2015, queer-women-book-club

I'm giving this a 4* average due to the structure/literary problem but it was absolutely a 5* read for me.

I loved that it was a reworked Xena fanfiction; I could absolutely tell the characters were based on my beloved Xena and Gabrielle (that and the fuzzy historical period and tangled plotlines, honestly). Even if they didn't, I would absolutely have kept reading. I loved watching their relationship grow from antagonism to trust.

I can't remember many of the details of the story now but I recall I liked the way queerness seemed so naturalised in the telling of it. The whole culture of the mostly-female castle was right up my alley too (plus it had that nice sort of boarding-school feel).

I do intend to read the second and third part at some point but am at least glad to have read the first one. I have to get a copy of it on audiobook at some point: Janis Ian, one of my favourite singers, reached out to the author and asked to do the audiobook, then actually did it, which to me is just fantastic. Xena + queer story in epic fiction + Janis Ian narrating = one hell of a book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Warrior's Path.

July 21, 2015 – Started Reading