José's Reviews > Armada

Jul 21, 2015

it was ok
bookshelves: sci-fi, audiobooks, kill-it-with-fire
Recommended for: My worst enemy

Reseña en español y llena de odio en el blog: Click Aquí
I expected an entertaining book with cool intergalactic battles and I got this instead:

The only difference is that Deadpool is fun.
This book was terrible and one of the worst I've read this year. I wasn't expecting a deep or complex story, just wanted an entertaining book and since I really enjoyed Ready Player One I decided to give this one a try.

This second book by Cline has many limitations, maybe the most notorious are the awkward, silly and out of place references to the pop culture. While in his previous book those references were important because they were significant to the plot in Armada they are everywhere for no reason. I love Star Wars but Zack (the main character) mentions it constantly in a way that was funny at first but begins to get annoying as the story develops and many of the references made me sick for example: when he says that he feels like Luke Skywalker battling the Death Star or when he says that he feels like captain Kirk on board of the enterprise and worst of all, when his spider sense tingles (come on man e_e).
Those are some examples, now imagine a whole book told that way with those silly references in every single chapter; that's Armada.

The characters were completely annoying too and I didn't feel sympathy for any of them. Aside from Zack, none is properly developed and many of them are stereotypes: you have the good girl, the intelligent girl, the war veteran that's like Chuck Norris and the mandatory asian guy.
Also Zack is very similar to Wade (the main character of Ready Player One), Cline seems to write his main characters as projections of his nerd fantasies instead of trying to create something original.

As I said before, the premise of the book didn't seem complex or deep so I wasn't expecting a profound book, but the book is full of clichés and some really stupid plot twist that didn't make sense.
Let's be honest, Ready Player One had flaws and silly moments too but I forgave them because the book was original and had nostalgic value.

The audiobook version was great, Will Wheaton does an outstanding job again narrating the story and some of the voices he makes along the book were great (especially his master Yoda imitation). I would have rated it with one star if it wasn't for Wheaton's narration.

So my advice is: don't read this book expecting it to have the same nostalgic value as Ready Player One or you will be terribly disappointed. The references were annoying instead of fun and many twists were really stupid to me.

Straight to my Kill it with fire shelf

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Armada.

July 21, 2015 – Shelved
July 21, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
July 21, 2015 – Shelved as: sci-fi
August 1, 2015 – Shelved as: audiobooks
August 3, 2015 – Started Reading
August 5, 2015 –
0.0% "The audiobook is entertaining so far, also there are...\n "
August 6, 2015 –
August 8, 2015 –
74.0% "No esperaba un libro muy profundo, pero esto esta resultando ser demasiado pelotudo (y eso que me encantan los videojuegos y películas a los que hace referencia)"
August 9, 2015 –
85.0% "Si este libro tiene más clichés voy a gritar...\n \n \n Por suerte casi se termina"
August 10, 2015 – Finished Reading
October 26, 2015 – Shelved as: kill-it-with-fire

Roviragrao Desde luego lo de Armada es el anti-hype total jajaja, se está llevando palos por todos lados :)

José Si ahora entiendo por qué tantas reseñas negativas! está muy lejos de Ready Player One, las referencias en este me parecieron muy fuera de lugar y forzadas (mira que soy fanático de Star Wars pero esto es demasiado).
Lo que más disfruté fue el primer tercio del libro, el resto me pareció cualquier cosa.

Si no fuera porque el audiolibro está bastante bien le ponía 1 estrella. No se, hubo gente que le gustó mucho pero la verdad que para mi deja mucho que desear ojalá lo puedas disfrutar si lo lees :)

message 3: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Esto es exactamente la misma razón por la que deje de escuchar el audiolibro.

José Sabrina wrote: "Esto es exactamente la misma razón por la que deje de escuchar el audiolibro."

Me alegra no ser el único xD en lugar de ser divertido fue tedioso y Zack me pareció un pelotudo importante (igual que el resto de los personajes).