Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews's Reviews > Even The Score

Even The Score by Kate Meader

Slick's review posted at Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

I'll admit I almost didn't read this book because of the title; I'm tired of reading books that are labeled romance but the characters are together for revenge or to use one another or to "get even." But because I've loved this author's work in the past, I took a chance and I'm really glad I did. Yes this book started out with the two characters doing exactly what I listed above as a reason to be together but it was the way this author turned their situation around and made the reader see that there was way more to them and their relationship. I believed as I watched them go from spitting mad and angry and vengeful towards each other to acceptance, friendship, respect and love and it was beautiful to see.

More than anything Tess McKenzie wants to open her own playhouse/theater with some of her friends she's met along the way in her acting career. Tess' life has not been the fairy tale everyone assumes given that her mother is an Academy Award winning actress. She's had her ups and downs and working dinner theater is definitely a low point especially when she quite literally runs into Hunter Dade the man who blames her for being left at the altar by her best friend.

Hunter can't believe it when he finds Tess working in a dinner theater of all things. There is nothing but animosity between them yet he can't seem to get her off his mind and when he realizes he needs a "fiancée" to secure a land deal he must have he enlists her help promising to fund her playhouse...only stipulation there will be no sex no matter how intense the chemistry is between them.

So many good things about this book it's hard to remember them all! These two had this "hate" between them and set out to basically be horrible to one another but their intense feelings turn into so much more. Despite their original plan the way they had each other's back at every turn was very telling of their true feelings. I loved the way they fought, the way they shared their pasts with one another and the way they were there for each other through the good and the bad especially considering they weren't even suppose to like each other.

Being a lifelong Texan it's often very hard for me to read books with characters from Texas and while some of the secondary characters were a bit over the top and overblown, Hunter was portrayed quite well. Sure there were times he dropped one or two too many darlin's in his speech but his attitude, his intensity, his stubbornness and his white knight complex speaks very true to many men in this state. The fact that Tess really loved so many of his good guy traits was surprising given her very self sufficient nature but he won her over with his charm and his protectiveness of her.

Even The Score is hot and sexy one minute, sweet and funny the next, and just simply a fantastic romance from the first page until the last. Kate Meader once again has written a book I could not put down.

Review copy provided for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Even The Score.

Started Reading