Wendy's Reviews > Dumplin'

Dumplin' by Julie   Murphy

bookshelves: young-adult, cybils, read-it-before-i-saw-it

Wow. Read in one sitting.

As someone who was always a medium skinny girl and then a medium big woman, but who has shot up to decidedly fat over the past two years, there's a lot sixteen year old Willowdean has to teach me, even if she is 30 years younger than me.

I love Will's voice and the way she see-saws between self worth and self loathing. It's just so human. I love her rag-tag bunch of misfits, who rise above that cliche to become real people. I love that she accidentally uses Mitch--okay, well, I don't LOVE love that, but again, so human. There was actually part of the book where I was wondering if it would turn out that just as one doesn't have to be (or become) slim to be a YA female hero, maybe one didn't have to be handsome ("peach butt" for the win) and bear a tortured past to be the male love interest, and that the slightly boring, thick-necked jock would actually win with kindness, but I guess there are only so many tropes one can bust in one book.

The less noble part of me was rooting for Bo all the time, because hello swooniness.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dumplin'.

July 20, 2015 – Shelved