Susanne's Reviews > Ardently: A Pride and Prejudice Variation

Ardently by Caitlin  Williams

bookshelves: fan-fiction, historical-fiction
Read 2 times. Last read April 15, 2018 to April 17, 2018.

A lovely P&P variation taking place four years after Austen's novel...but with Darcy and Elizabeth not meeting again after his botched proposal at Hunsford; she goes to the Lake District with the Gardiners and never makes it to Pemberley. Mr. Bingley does not return to Netherfield, either.

Most of this story takes place in Bath where Darcy and Elizabeth meet up again...and thus the story goes....

This variation was a delightful read!! I finished it in fewer than 24 hours; it was non-put-downable (I know--it's not a word, but it has to do.) ;)

Very romantic, very different, with new characters introduced and old favorites (and non-favorites, i.e., Miss Caroline Bingley) returning, this is one of the most delightful Austen variations I've read.

NOTE on RE-READ:
Yes, I just re-read Ardently, and it was truly just as good the second time as the first. I did remember what happens with the young Mr. Yorke, a college friend of Darcy's, who pursues Elizabeth in Bath, but I also remembered the ending, so I wasn't too upset at Mr. Yorke and Miss Bingley as I might have been otherwise. But goodness! Miss Bingley can't help but rub salt into people's wounds when they're down, can she?

A wonderful read--very interesting, especially Darcy's reason for marrying; I had forgotten that part!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ardently.

Started Reading