Helia's Reviews > The Raven Boys

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Jul 20, 2015

bookshelves: fantasy, mystery
Read 2 times. Last read July 14, 2015 to July 20, 2015.

Blue does not lead the most normal life, but her family of psychics all seem to agree that if she kisses her true love, he will die. This does not bother Blue all too much. All the boys in Henrietta go to the prestegious Aglionby Academy. Known as The Raven Boys, they are rich, obnoxious and definitely not her type. But what Blue did not count on was that she would be swept away by an ancient mystery, and that The Raven Boys need her help.

I first picked up 'The Raven Boys' several months ago as a result of the hype surrounding it, and put it down after roughly 50 pages. The pace was too slow for me, but a few weeks ago I decided to give it a second chance, and I could not put it down.

What makes the book different to others in the Young Adult genre is that the characters self aware and complex, as are their relationships. Gansey, their leader, has an obsession with the supernatural and an intense sense of responsibility over his friends. Adam does not believe in magic, but endures Gansey's fanciful notions despite his pride. Ronan is reckless and intimidating, yet mothers a small bird named Chainsaw. And Noah is loyal and knows many secrets, but is so quiet that it often seems as though he isn't there.

The focus of the book is on the characters rather than plot, but also has a dark mystery inspired by Welsh mythology that assists in driving the story.

I wait in anticipation to read the remainder of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raven Boys.

Quotes Helia Liked

Maggie Stiefvater
“She wasn't interested in telling other people's futures. She was interested in going out and finding her own.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Are you really going to work in that?" Maura asked.

Blue looked at her clothing. It involved a few thin layering shirts, including one she had altered using a method called shredding. "What's wrong with it?"
Maura shrugged. "Nothing. I always wanted an eccentric daughter. I just never realised how well my evil plans were working.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Adam had once told Gansey, "Rags to riches isn't a story anyone wants to hear until after it's done.”

July 14, 2015 – Started Reading
July 20, 2015 – Shelved
July 20, 2015 – Finished Reading
July 27, 2015 – Shelved as: fantasy
July 27, 2015 – Shelved as: mystery
April 3, 2016 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
April 3, 2016 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
April 3, 2016 –
page 51
12.11% "Gansey's ghost smelled of mint how did I not remember this before?" (Paperback Edition)
April 4, 2016 –
page 112
26.6% "I wish I didn't know about Noah the first time around because that is such a great plot twist." (Paperback Edition)
April 4, 2016 –
page 160
38.0% "After the group card reading was the point I first got hooked" (Paperback Edition)
April 5, 2016 –
page 255
60.57% "Of course - of course only Gansey and Noah can hear the trees. Either this was something I forgot or something I didn't pick up on the first time." (Paperback Edition)
April 8, 2016 –
page 318
75.53% "Noah is an angelic prince and can do no wrong. The cinnamon roll must be protected at all costs." (Paperback Edition)
April 8, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy (Paperback Edition)
April 8, 2016 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
April 9, 2016 – Shelved as: mystery (Paperback Edition)
April 19, 2016 – Shelved as: mythology (Paperback Edition)
September 6, 2016 – Shelved as: favourite-series (Paperback Edition)
April 4, 2017 – Shelved as: diverse-reads (Paperback Edition)
July 2, 2017 – Shelved as: age-young-adult (Paperback Edition)