Jessi's Reviews > Zombies Vs. Unicorns

Zombies Vs. Unicorns by Holly Black

Dec 07, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy, short-stories, teen, adult
Read in November, 2010

My son and I listened to this audiobook on our long drive to Nevada. It is a book of short stories that alternate between zombie and unicorn themes (some combined) and feature authors Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier fighting it out over which is better. The stories themselves are by awesome YA authors and vary greatly in tone and depth.

We had a great time listening to these. The banter between Holly and Justine seemed a bit tinned, but was still amusing. I really loved the second story about a boy who had contracted a rare form of brain virus (the author tells this better) and he travels the country eating other humans--the brains are the best part. My second favorite was about how to train your baby killer unicorn, and that just says it all right there. In my opinion, the zombie stories win but the contrast is excelent. Some of the readers are better than others (there is a mix of readers and one story seems to have 3 different for each of the "voices".) The excellent readers seem to coincide with my favorite stories... thank goodness.

There are some swears and references to sex and alcohol, so more suited to mature readers. Same sex crushes etc run naturally through some of the stories, which I find refreshing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zombies Vs. Unicorns.

message 1: by Shadee (new)

Shadee I love that there is a book with this title!