Sam Musher's Reviews > Nimona

Nimona by Noelle Stevenson

liked it
bookshelves: diverse-authors-project, epilogue, fantasy, fatpol, lgbtq, mg-read, magic

Super cute! The pacing is odd, because it was written serially as a web comic. Everything about it feels very "from the internet": the comic strip joke beats, the mildly snarky postmodern jokes, the young woman writing a star-crossed gay male relationship. Kids (by which I mean mostly girls) who are into fandom will love this. But I think it'll have a broader audience than that -- I pictured certain superhero-loving boys of my acquaintance giggling their way through the early chapters and repeating lines to each other.

For me, it was a little oversimplified and predictable. It got dark, the way Jeff Smith's Bone does, but nowhere near that complex. It was also kind of painful to read because the lettering is really super tiny. Seriously, HarperCollins, did you let anyone with less than perfect eyesight look at this before it went to press?

As a sidenote: how much do I love that Nimona is a strong girl drawn with big hips and thighs? Like the gay relationship, it's never commented upon; this is just how the world goes. This is what happens when you give young Tumblr ladies the floor and publish their books!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nimona.

July 20, 2015 – Shelved