Marita's Reviews > So Long, See You Tomorrow

So Long, See You Tomorrow by William Maxwell

bookshelves: 2017, favourites-2017, fiction, classics-and-literary

Sometimes small, apparently insignificant actions can haunt one forever. It could quite simply be something one said or didn’t say. And so it is with the narrator of this story. A horrible event destroys two families, but it is a small, spur of the moment action that causes him regret for the rest of his life.

The writing is beautiful, and with few words much is conveyed.

#####
Note:
The narrator says:
“What we, or at any rate what I, refer to confidently as memory – meaning a moment, a scene, a fact that has been subjected to a fixative and thereby rescued from oblivion – is really a form of storytelling that goes on continually in the mind and often changes with the telling.”
Julian Barnes in his novel The Sense of an Ending expands on this idea.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Long, See You Tomorrow.

July 19, 2015 – Shelved
May 21, 2017 –
17.0% "I formed an attachment to the young put-upon Johann Sebastian Bach, and after him to Handel and his Water Music, and Haydn and Mozart and Beethoven and Schubert and Schumann and Mendelssohn and Wagner’s operas and classical music in general. It didn’t improve my playing."
May 22, 2017 – Started Reading
May 22, 2017 –
85.0% "Daybreak was a comfort. The birds. A rooster crowing. It meant that time existed. At night everything stood still."
May 23, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)

Laysee With few words, your review conveyed the beauty of this book. Love the connection you made to 'The Sense of an Ending'.

Marita Thanks, Laysee. The quote immediately made me think of Barnes's book.

Teresa I love this book (and author) so much and am glad you found it beautiful too, Marita.

Marita Thanks, Teresa. I'll be looking out for more of Maxwell's novels.

Marita Jean-Paul, I appreciate your lovely compliment. Thank you. :-)

message 6: by Seemita (last edited May 24, 2017 03:06AM) (new)

Seemita You are mastering economy of words, Marita. What a concentrated shot of a review!

message 7: by Fionnuala (new) - added it

Fionnuala Lovely tribute to this fine book, Marita.
And speaking of memory, what I remember most about the book now is the dog! And I think I may even have given the story of the dog a different outcome ;-)

Marita Poor bewildered dog! Thanks, Fionnuala. :-)

message 9: by Leila (new) - added it

Leila I think your review is beautiful Marita. I definitely want the book.

Marita Leila, I think that you'll like this one. And thank you very much! :-)

message 11: by Ilse (new)

Ilse Loved the quote in your note, Marita, the thought that a moment, a scene in life can evolve into never-ending book of stories.

message 12: by Fran (new) - added it

Fran Excellent review Marita.

message 13: by Dolors (new) - added it

Dolors I had never heard of book or author and your pithy review was most effective, Marita. I am adding this one, thank you.

Marita Ilse wrote: "Loved the quote in your note, Marita, the thought that a moment, a scene in life can evolve into never-ending book of stories."

Ilse, I'm pleased that you liked the quote. Thanks for reading my review and for commenting. :-)

Marita Fran wrote: "Excellent review Marita."

Much appreciated, Fran! :-)

Marita Dolors wrote: "I had never heard of book or author and your pithy review was most effective, Marita. I am adding this one, thank you."

Dolors, I think that this novel might well appeal to you. I look forward to reading your take of it. :-)

message 17: by Larry (new)

Larry H Terrific review, Marita! I read this book some time ago and just absolutely loved it.

Marita Thanks, Larry! Very nice of you to say so.

Carol Marita wrote: "The writing is beautiful, and with few words much is conveyed."

Your review is beautifully written as well, Marita. I loved this novel!

Marita Thank you, Carol! :-)

message 21: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Very intriguing. Loved the quote and the review

Marita Kerry wrote: "Very intriguing. Loved the quote and the review"

Kerry, thank you! It is a beautiful novel.

Roger Brunyate I didn't remember that particular sentence from the book, but it is quite apropos, as is your reference to Barnes. R.