lielabell's Reviews > The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Brontë

The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Brontë by Syrie James

Dec 07, 2010

bookshelves: to-read
Read in December, 2010

This book. WOW. I have spent the last few weeks reading pretty much everything Syrie James has written- all of which are amazing, btw- but The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte is by far the best of the lot. I don't even know how to describe how good it is. I just...

Okay, look. I love books. I read a lot of them. And, while I do get caught up the in story and lost in new worlds, I typically still manage to have a small part of me that stays objective, that can analyze the plot, predict what will happen and compare what I'm reading to all that I've read before. The Secret Diaries is one of the rare books where that didn't happen. I was complete engrossed. I stayed up until one in the morning on a work night because I *had* to know what was going to happen next. Then I spent the whole next day glaring at my clock because it wasn't going fast enough and all I wanted to do was get back home and read some more.

And the writing. Double wow. From the first sentence I felt like I was reading Charlotte's actual diary. Everything was pitch perfect. Now remember that I was coming directly off of The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen. So I was pretty confident that I knew what to expect. Dead. Wrong. Well, okay, so I expected it would be an awesome read and it totally was, but that's the only exception. James was able to completely reinvent her writing style, to completely immerse herself in Charlotte Bronte to the point where I found it hard to remember that I was reading a work of fiction. Absolutely stunning job.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Brontë.