Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)'s Reviews > The Accident Season

The Accident Season by Moïra Fowley-Doyle

Initial Impressions 7/21/15: This was really interesting! I was really hooked in the beginning and loved the answers in the end but the middle got a little muddy for me. I really liked the whole concept overall and the way everything came together! It was very, very interesting and the atmosphere overall was intriguing, mysterious, and romantic.
Magical realism, I suppose? Paranormal? Maybe somewhere in between!

Full review as originally posted HERE on The Book Addict's Guide 7/27/15: THE ACCIDENT SEASON was a really interesting and unique read for me! My first impressions were that it reminded me of books like PAPER VALENTINE, WE WERE LIARS, and UNSPOKEN and yet it was a book that really stood all on its own. The spooky and romantic atmosphere really brought the book to life and there were some really excellent moments all throughout!

I really loved the concept of “The Accident Season” itself. Every October, Cara and her family suffer countless accidents and injuries — even deaths — and Cara doesn’t really know why it happens. The question remains throughout the book and yes, the ending does provide an answer (thankfully)! The whole concept of it was just so interesting and shocking and curious and I really loved the answer as to why these things were happening and why they were only happening to Cara and her family.

I also really enjoyed the overlying theme of secrets. One character, Elsie, runs a “secrets booth” at school (which turns into a school project every year) so people drop their anonymous secrets there but each character in THE ACCIDENT SEASON is concealing a secret of their own and it was just so interesting to not only see those secrets revealed but also how they all tied into the main story line. The structure was just great and I really appreciate how cohesive the story was.

I had a bit of struggle in the middle, though, I’ll admit. I was hooked from the beginning by the atmosphere and mystery presented to me but I feel like I got a bit lost in the second third of the book. My interest waned a bit — possibly when the story began to focus more on the characters than the mystery? — but it didn’t last too long because I easily fell back into that excited rhythm once all of the pieces started falling into place.

Overall, I really enjoyed THE ACCIDENT SEASON and it was a delightfully intriguing and spooky read. The book takes place during October (and Halloween) so it’s the perfect book to pick up during the Halloween season too! I can’t wait to hear the responses from fellow readers on this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Accident Season.

July 19, 2015 – Started Reading
July 19, 2015 – Shelved
July 19, 2015 –
page 32
10.53% "Well that was creepy! This is interesting so far. LOVE the atmosphere. Can't wait to see where the story goes!"
July 19, 2015 –
page 38
page 68
22.37% "EEEEK I just got chills!!"
page 104