Jeff Zentner's Reviews > Assassin's Heart

Assassin's Heart by Sarah Ahiers

bookshelves: to-read

Move over, Katniss Everdeen and Arya Stark. The Sacred Order of Badass Young Heroines has a new member:

Oleander Saldana.

Assassin's Heart is a thrilling, hard-pounding, intriguing adventure full of richly realized characters, romance, a gripping plot, and palpable descriptions of sight, sound, and smell.

I inhaled this book, and believe me when I tell you that it's way off my beaten reading path. I don't read a great deal of YA fantasy, but I know masterful worldbuilding when I see it. Here, Ahiers creates a lush, lamplit society—evocative of Renaissance-period Florence or Venice—with unique history, customs, religious beliefs, magic, and a warrior class that is utterly credible. Some serious research and thought went into this book. To say nothing of the research and thought that went into the various and devious killing methods on display.

This may be marketed as a young adult book, but there is nothing childish about it. I would not hesitate to recommend it to an adult. This would also be an excellent book to recommend to young people who are reluctant readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assassin's Heart.

July 19, 2015 – Shelved
July 19, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Whitney- Reader's Candy AGREE AGREE!!