Rachel's Reviews > Bring Me Some Apples and I'll Make You a Pie: A Story About Edna Lewis

Bring Me Some Apples and I'll Make You a Pie by Robbin Gourley

Dec 06, 2010

bookshelves: to-read, biography-and-memoirs, children, cookbooks-and-food, picture-books
Read in January, 2011

I loved this picture book about chef Edna Lewis, who I had heard of but never read anything about, so I figured this book would give me a headstart on knowing about her. I thought it was very well done, mixing the different harvests during from spring to fall with "rhymes and sayings taken from American folk tradition (Gourley, 40)." I especially liked how everytime she and her family would pick the produce, she would say something cooking-related like "Honey on hot biscuits sweetens the morning," or when they are collecting strawberries she says "There'll be strawberry shortcake for dessert tonight!". She is a girl after my own heart. Sure you eat the berries as you pick them, but you also save some for pie. The Author's note in the back was particularly useful and included a bibliography of Edna's cookbooks. It also included 5 recipes from the kind of things mentioned in the picture book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bring Me Some Apples and I'll Make You a Pie.