Lbaker's Reviews > Daddy Lenin and Other Stories

Daddy Lenin and Other Stories by Guy Vanderhaeghe

bookshelves: canadian, short-stories

I loved every one of these stories except for the last one, the one the book is named for "Daddy Lenin". I found the earlier stories full of recognizable people. Daddy Lenin read like a story written to be analyzed, written for university students to read the foreshadowing and not for the enjoyment or to inform the reader.

I really wish this story had not been put as the last story in the book, because it left me with negative feelings for a book that I really enjoyed up to there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daddy Lenin and Other Stories.

July 18, 2015 – Started Reading
July 18, 2015 – Shelved
July 18, 2015 – Shelved as: canadian
July 18, 2015 – Shelved as: short-stories
July 27, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Cynthia Alice I had such a different experience of the story Daddy Lenin! All of my eagerness to read this collection came out of that title, probably largely because of the intensity of my experience of the 'left' as it's sometimes called, in Canada. For me the story was challenging to surrender to because of who the two main character's are, and their relationship. But the story rings SO true that eventually I did surrender to and enjoy that very truth.