Emanuela ~plastic duck~'s Reviews > The Elegant Corpse

The Elegant Corpse by A.M. Riley

Dec 06, 2010

bookshelves: bdsm-power-exchange-slave, rainbow-gay, glbt, romance, action-crime-suspense
Recommended to Emanuela ~plastic duck~ by: Julia
Read on March 20, 2011

I am a little bit at loss with words at the moment. And a little bit in love with Roger Corso too.

He is a character that is simple and complicated at the same time. He is a very disciplined man, he keeps himself in check and he controls how he lets himself go. Even his sexual release is just the right amount to satisfy a need, but it doesn't involve his feelings. Since when his lover died, Roger has put a lid on his emotions. His encounters with his old friend Peter, owner of a BDSM club, and the scenes he plays with him are the only way he lets some steam off.

His life is rocked when, coming home from a short vacation, he finds a corpse in his living room. The corpse has been dead for a long time and the investigation brings the brother's victim, Sean, into his life. It's one of those fated encounters. Sean is a ball of energy, with little discipline and a lot of nervous tics. He is also the perfect opposite to Roger's dark and handsome beauty: a lithe, redheaded, artistic beauty that slowly imposes itself on Roger's life. Roger surrenders.

While the threads of Roger's investigation wound around the detective himself, bringing the loyalties to the BDSM world into question, Roger falls for the younger man. Roger brings his need of discipline into the relationship, because Sean needs it too. He lets him into his house, because he wants him safe. Because he wants to own him. The way he takes possession of Sean, and Sean lets himself be taken, is beautifully written and very passionate, because they both have to strip their souls bare in that moment.

The mystery was very good until the end. I was glad there were still a few pages after the case was closed, because they showed the characters' vulnerability and their intimacy. I felt a little bit like a voyeur, because the last pages were very emotional, but I was glad to see that the author took care of his characters after putting them through very rough times.

The BDSM element was integral to the plot, because it describes what Roger is, but it's not overwhelming.

In my opinion this book is simply awesome.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Elegant Corpse.

03/20/2011
30.0% "Sean, back off!"

message 1: by Lori K (new)

Lori K Is the bdsm heavy in this book? it's not my favorite thing to read so I put this one aside.

Emanuela ~plastic duck~ Not really. I think the good thing is that it's really part of the personality of the character. It molds Roger Corso's relationship with Sean, but it doesn't define it. What does put you off in a bdsm book usually?

message 3: by Lori K (new)

Lori K The violence (as I perceive it) makes me very uncomfortable. I cringe and co ver my eyes when I a fight scene come up in movies.

Emanuela ~plastic duck~ At the end of the book there's a scene which is more violent than the rest (the other scenes are not gory or bloody). Mild (view spoiler)

message 5: by Lori K (last edited Apr 20, 2011 11:17AM) (new)

Lori K But is there hitting? As in punching or slapping the face?

Emanuela ~plastic duck~ Between the main characters, no. The bad guy does very bad things. It will probably make you uncomfortable. (view spoiler)