Ryan Peter's Reviews > The Old Man and the Sea

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

Jul 17, 2015

What's interesting about this book, and Hemingway's style, is you find yourself at first thinking, "Hmmm. Seems a bit boring and too plain." But yet you find yourself still reading and reading, and actually quite enjoying it.

I love the Old Man in this book. I think Hemingway manages to encapsulate the way a man feels when he is lonely and desperate. I felt the angst of this man. I'm not a fan of stoicism, unlike Hemingway, but nevertheless I enjoyed the way in which he looked to represent it. I loved the ending as it wasn't Hollywood but it was just real - it dealt with life as it is, rather than as it should be, with a tinge of hope - or rather, a tinge of looking beyond just the obvious.

Something about it hooks you (no pun intended). I actually really enjoyed it. Perhaps men enjoy this more than woman (looking at some of the reviews, that seems true). It's not a long read, so you really can pick it up and give it a try without having to wade through it at all.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Old Man and the Sea.

June 14, 2015 – Started Reading