Greg Spry's Reviews > Beyond Vica

Beyond Vica by T.C. Booth

Overall, I enjoyed this piece of YA fiction about a teenage girl who struggles to deal with her friend's illness. The novel was short, sweet, and to the point. The prose flowed well and was an excellent example of how less is more sometimes. I found myself eager to get back to reading it each time I put it down. While nothing Earth-shattering or ground-breaking occurred, the story was definitely touching and moving. I empathized with the main character, who transcended a fatal flaw and grew by the end. This would be a good book for any young person dealing with similar hardship to read.

I have only a couple very minor suggestions for improvement. Too many authors in too many stories feel the strange need to fixate on the colors of characters' eyes, and this piece falls victim to that pitfall. Also, some descriptions were info dumped rather than shown with purpose. Any time an author writes a sentence that goes something like "He or she wore/was wearing [some article of clothing]", it's a sign of telling rather than showing. That said, the descriptions were so concise it scarcely mattered.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond Vica.

Started Reading