Holly's Reviews > In Arabian Nights: A Caravan of Moroccan Dreams

In Arabian Nights by Tahir Shah

Dec 05, 2010

Read in December, 2010

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Arabian Nights.

Quotes Holly Liked

Tahir Shah
“Real terror is a crippling experience. You sweat so much that your skin goes all wrinkly like when you've been in the bath all afternoon. And then the scent of your sweat changes. It smells like cat pee, no doubt from the adrenalin. However hard you wash, it won't come off. It smothers you, as your muscles become frozen with acid and your mind paralysed by despair.”

Tahir Shah
“For my father there was no sharper way to understand a country than by listening to its stories.”

Tahir Shah
“My father never told us how the stories worked. He didn't reveal the layers, the nuggets of information, the fragments of truth and fantasy. He didn't need to -- because, given the right conditions, the stories activated, sowing themselves.”

Tahir Shah
“Settling into a new country is like getting used to a new pair of shoes. At first they pinch a little, but you like the way they look, so you carry on. The longer you have them, the more comfortable they become. Until one day without realizing it you reach a glorious plateau. Wearing those shoes is like wearing no shoes at all. The more scuffed they get, the more you love them and the more you can't imagine life without them.”

Tahir Shah
“Stories are not like the real world; they aren't held back by what we know is false or true. What's important is how a story makes you feel inside.”

Tahir Shah
“There can be few situations more fearful than breaking down in darkness on the highway leading to Casablanca. I have rarely felt quite so vulnerable or alone.”

Tahir Shah
“At the dealership, I pulled out the sieve and toyed with it threateningly. When the salesman was ready for me, I held it up, told him I was not a tourist and demanded a large discount.”

Tahir Shah
“Believe, and what was impossible becomes possible what at first was hidden becomes visible.”

Tahir Shah
“Close your senses and the imagination comes alive. It's inside us al, dulled by endless television reruns and by a society that reins in fantasy as something not to be trusted, something to be purged. But it's in there, deep inside, a spark waiting to set a touch-paper alight.”

Tahir Shah
“I believe that Marrakech ought to be earned as a destination. The journey is the preparation for the experience. Reaching it too fast derides it, makes it a little less easy to understand.”

Tahir Shah
“My father used to say that stories are part of the most precious heritage of mankind.”

Tahir Shah
“These days no one challenges us,' he said. 'And because there is no challenge, there is no reason to work hard. And with no reason to work hard, we have all become lazy.”

Tahir Shah
“Nothing was really so important to my father as the achievement of selflessness. He rarely mentioned it directly, but tried to guide us to it in a roundabout way.”

Tahir Shah
“Stories are a communal currency of humanity.”

Tahir Shah
“My father used to tell me that stories offer the listener a chance to escape but, more importantly, he said, they provide people with a chance to maximize their minds. Suspend ordinary constraints, allow the imagination to be freed, and we are charged with the capability of heighetned thought.
Learn to use your eyes as if they are your ears, he said, and you become connected with the ancient heritage of man, a dream world for the waking mind.”