Joanne Johnston's Reviews > Fall Out Girl

Fall Out Girl by L. Duarte

bookshelves: 2015, favorites

‘Fall Out Girl’ grabbed my attention on Amazon at just 99p. I have had a lot of luck with 99p Kindle books so I was extra excited to read this. The reviews on Amazon were 5 out of 5 stars and on Goodreads it was nearly 4 so I had a very good feeling.

What grabbed my attention next was the witty blurb written in the first person from the protagonist Luna. The style of the blurb and the book throughout was almost autobiographical, switching sometimes between the past and present and conscious and subconscious. Sometimes these sort of styles can get quite annoying and egotistical, but somehow Luna’s personality pulled this off. Luna herself reminded me a lot of other strong badass female characters like Annabelle in ‘Young Love Murder,' and Quinn in ‘Grounding Quinn,' and others like Parker in ‘Ten Below Zero’. There are probably loads more than I just can't remember right now. I do love a strong leading female especially one that has been through a lot. It makes a female reader feel better about themselves when they read something familiar. I also have to admit, I kinda like it when they aren't all innocent, e.g., a law breaker. Thats why I love Kristen Ashley’s books because there is a bit of rule breaking in all of them.

What I liked apart from Luna, was the darkness to the story, it was defiantly an audience for the older crowd. I also liked the fact that it wasn't all about Luna and Caleb, and was more focused on her own journey and her finding herself.

What I didn't like so much was that some of story was glossed over a bit too quickly for my liking or maybe I felt like I needed a little bit more information, like how she killed her Uncle, and her drug dealing itself and how she suddenly stopped, and how Caleb didn't really seem too fussed over her being a drug dealer in the first place.

Overall it was an enjoyable read with some emotions chucked in the last 25% of the book. 5 stars!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fall Out Girl.

July 16, 2015 – Shelved