Paul's Reviews > Sixty-One Nails

Sixty-One Nails by Mike Shevdon

Dec 04, 2010

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, kindle, modern-fantasy, fantasy
Read from December 04 to 15, 2010

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sixty-One Nails.

12/04/2010 page 29

Comments (showing 1-11)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 11: by Mike (new)

Mike Shevdon Hi Paul,

I hope you are enjoying Sixty-One Nails.

I notice that you have tagged your entry as 'kindle' and I just wanted to let you know that the initial release of the Kindle version had errors in it, caused when my publisher used the wrong file by mistake. This version had formatting errors in it, particularly in dialogue.

If you have this problem, refresh your copy and you should get the updated version without the errors.

Many thanks, sorry for the eBook gremlins.

Best wishes,

Mike Shevdon

message 10: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Thanks Mike,

I originally got the book a month or two ago when Amazon featured it at the promo price of free. After reading just the first chapter, I ended up buying the second book on Kindle as well.

Thanks for the heads up about the formatting errors and the tip to refresh. I am really enjoying the book thus far. I think I am through chapter 5 at this point.

Ryan (miyu) Paul convinced me to give this one a shot as well. I got the new version that will hopefully have the formatting errors corrected.

Paul You'll have to let me know what you think of it Ryan. I'm at chapter 22 now and the story has picked up considerably in the last couple chapters. There is a little bit of a slow start, but it does not deter from the overall experience for me, at least.

Ryan (miyu) If it is anything even vaguely in the vein of Charles de Lint then I will like it.

Paul Have never read anything by that author.
I finished the book last night. I stayed up way too late because I didn't want to stop reading.

Ryan (miyu) I am about 15% through the book now and am really impressed. Setting aside the London and subway connection it still evokes a very Neverwhere vibe. I wouldn't compare it to de Lint so far because this seems a little grittier than de Lint typically does.

Very good read up to this point so I went ahead and bought book 2.

Any idea if there are going to be more? A trilogy perhaps or a continuing series?

message 4: by Mike (new)

Mike Shevdon Glad you're enjoying the ride.

I am in discussions with my publisher at the moment about the next two books which will complete this story arc. After that, we'll have to see how it goes.

Hope you enjoy them.

Paul That is great to hear. I'm about 40% through book two and this book really has picked up the story and excitement. I have had a couple nights where I had to force myself to stop reading so that I could get to sleep.

I've not read Neverwhere yet, so I can't make the comparisons, but I think that I will after I finish the second book.

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike Shevdon Personally, I'm not sure the comparisons with Neverwhere works, entirely, though to be compared to Neil Gaiman's work is very flattering.

You'll have to see what you think for yourself.

Ryan (miyu) After reading both books I stand by my comparison to Neil Gaiman (in general if not specifically Neverwhere).

The world is fleshed out without revealing everything and the main characters have their own personalities/wants/desires/flaws without being caricatures. It is a slightly darker world where the protagonist is basically learning as he goes. Well done series. My only disappointment is I felt the main female character was somewhat set aside during the second half of book two. I imagine though she will play a larger role in the third novel.