Cal (Constant Raving Reviews)'s Reviews > Every Last Word

it was ok
bookshelves: own

Read more bookish goodness on my book blog: Cal's Constant Raving Reviews

MY EXPERIENCE WITH THE BOOK:
Reading this book felt like it took years to finish. It was not enjoyable.
description

CHARACTERS/DYNAMICS:
I have major issues with the main character; Sam. Don't get me wrong: I dearly appreciate representation of mental illness in YA literature, but Sam's a Class A bitch. She's not remorseful for her bullying: she simply regrets her actions because she feels a bit bad and isn't liked by everybody. She only starts realising she's a horrible person when her other horrible friends start to exclude her, and the redemption we see in Sam is through her getting a crush on the boy who used to stutter.

That's it.

I want to rant for hours on what a shitty character Sam is, but honestly, it's not fun and I'd rather be reviewing books with characters I adored.

Something I was expecting from the book: Sam to be completely and totally gay for her new friend Caroline. That, right there, would have been 1000% more entertaining than her somewhat finding the boy who used to have a stutter but now plays the guitar and is totally hot, as her redeeming factor for her nastiness.

description

PLOT:
Freaking boring until the end. Which all English teachers would loath, due to it being on the same level as endings with "it was all a dream."

STRUCTURE:
I pretty much skipped all the poems. Oops.

THEMES:
f*cking nothing. (not that reviews should call out authors, but dear god I can so easily see Stone has never been severely bullied, it reflects in her writing blatantly). This book is so apathetic to bullying, I can't stand it.

THE ENDING:
Brilliant.

IMPACT:
Yes, note for the future: stop reading hyped books in genres you don't particularly favour.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Last Word.

July 15, 2015 – Shelved
July 15, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
September 16, 2017 – Shelved as: own
January 7, 2018 – Started Reading
January 15, 2018 –
page 66
17.93% "“I could write about my OCD. Or the number three.”

Me: *immediately thinks of Britney Spears’ threesome song*"
January 15, 2018 –
page 106
28.8% "I don’t like reading this bc it makes me think of all the times I’ve been bullied and she’s like “ahhh it’s horrible I hate dealing with the guilt I don’t feel good” LIKE WOW POOR YOU ITS NOT LIKE YOU COULD

MAYBE

NOT

BULLY

PEOPLE

JFC"
January 18, 2018 –
page 284
77.17% "Okay, now things are starting to get interesting!"
January 18, 2018 – Finished Reading