Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog)'s Reviews > Frisk Me

Frisk Me by Lauren Layne

liked it
bookshelves: arc, 3-stars, read-in-2015, romance, enemies-to-lovers

Lauren Layne has become an author that I can count on to deliver an enjoyable light contemporary romance. Factor in a story about a humble man in uniform and I was sure I would fall in love with this book. Well, that is, once I got over my disdain for the cover. I’m a terrible cover snob. But seriously, NYPD Officer Luc Moretti is dark-haired, stubborn, and second generation Italian so naturally he looks like Owen Wilson posing on the cover?

photo Owen1_zps83vthgax.jpeg

Luc is the youngest of five in a family devoted to law enforcement. His father is the retired police commissioner of NYC, his three brothers are fellow officers of the law, and his sister is a defense attorney. His life revolves around two things: family and his job. When his rescue of a drowning girl unknowingly gets captured on video by an onlooker, the video goes viral. He’s quickly hailed “America’s Hero” by the press but he is uncomfortable in the spotlight. Luc knows he was just doing his job and he is nobody’s hero. He has been plagued by memories of a job gone wrong and his resulting sense of guilt. All he wants now is for his life to go back to normal. However, with public opinion of the NYPD at an all-time low, the department decides to cash in on some positive publicity.

Ava Sims is an ambitious TV reporter assigned to do a three-hour national TV special on Luc’s life. The pair instantly bump heads but there’s no denying the mutual attraction. Ava will be shadowing Luc for two months to learn more about the man behind the badge. He’s unhappy about having his privacy invaded and mortified that a simple act in the line of duty will become overblown on a national platform. Ava senses there’s more to Luc’s story and if she can uncover the secrets he’s hiding it may be the key to getting the anchorwoman position she’s been after.

I usually appreciate a slow-burn romance, particularly when used in an enemies-to-lovers trope. In this instance, however, the fire almost burned out by the time Ava and Luc finally got together. Their chemistry is wonderful though and the bedroom scenes hit the perfect balance between tender and sexy.

It’s the characters more than the storyline that are the saving grace of this book. Ms. Layne has created a wonderful cast of characters within Luc’s tight-knit Italian family. I loved each of them but especially Luc’s eccentric, meddling Nonna. While I never quite warmed to Ava, Luc makes a very appealing hero.

The premise of this novel is good; however, the plot is rather predictable and was insufficient to keep me interested throughout. Overall, the book isn’t terrible. It’s just not up to the level of excellence I’ve come to expect from Lauren Layne.

** ARC provided in exchange for an honest review. **

photo 1069976_693454804003256_826769320_n_zpsnzskiwmw.png

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frisk Me.

July 15, 2015 – Started Reading
July 15, 2015 – Shelved
July 15, 2015 –
1.0% "I'm not feeling this cover but I'm trusting Lauren Layne to deliver a good story."
July 18, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)

message 1: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Oh yeah, I'd like him to frisk me alright ;-)

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» Hope you enjoy this, Angela! And I agree, I don't think the cover goes with this, but he sure is nice to look at! LOL :P xoxoxox

Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog) Kathleen wrote: "Oh yeah, I'd like him to frisk me alright ;-)"

LOL! Not too shabby. :)

Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog) Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» wrote: "Hope you enjoy this, Angela! And I agree, I don't think the cover goes with this, but he sure is nice to look at! LOL :P xoxoxox"

He's a little pretty, isn't he? And doesn't match his description in the book AT ALL but I'm going with it for now. :)

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Fantastic review, Angela!;)

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Kyle Terrific review Angela xx

Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog) Arianna wrote: "Fantastic review, Angela!;)"

Thanks, Arianna! ❤

Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog) Jennifer wrote: "Terrific review Angela xx"

Thanks so much, Jennifer! ❤

message 9: by Ingie (new)

Ingie Nicely and wisely said Angela. Great review.
Covers "must" be right. LoL!

Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog) Ingela wrote: "Nicely and wisely said Angela. Great review.
Covers "must" be right. LoL!"

Thanks, Ingela! I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but... ;-)

message 11: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Wonderful review babe! :) ♥

Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog) Jasmine wrote: "Wonderful review babe! :) ♥"

Thanks, Jasmine! ❤

message 13: by S.M. (new)

S.M. West Great review, Angela. xo

Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog) Suzanne wrote: "Great review, Angela. xo"

Thanks, Suzanne! :)

message 15: by Mysza (new)

Mysza Great review Angela!

Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog) Mysza wrote: "Great review Angela!"

Thanks, Mysza! ❤

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» Fabulous, honest review, Angela! Sorry you couldn't warm up to Ava, and about the predictability of the plot. That would damper my enjoyment a notch too. :/ Although, I am a HUGE sucker for family dynamics, and Luc's family (crazy nonna!) sounds perfect! I'm gonna give this a try, and hopefully I'll enjoy it somewhat as well. And I agree about the cover! I hate it when models on covers don't "match" the character descriptions. It ruins the characters' image in mind. I'm glad this was an overall okay read for you though! Hope your next LL book is much better though! :D xoxoxoxox

Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog) Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» wrote: "Fabulous, honest review, Angela! Sorry you couldn't warm up to Ava, and about the predictability of the plot. That would damper my enjoyment a notch too. :/ Although, I am a HUGE sucker for family ..."

Thanks, Maida! I hope this one works out better for you. :D

Geri Reads Well said, Angela.

Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog) ♥~♥Geri ~ the Racy Lit Reader ♥~♥ wrote: "Well said, Angela."

Thanks, Geri! ❤

Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog AWESOME Review Hun!
Did you start up your own blog??
xoxoxo

Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog) Patty ❤️❤️ Belongs To ❤️Kellan❤️Jesse❤️ Miller❤️Garrett❤️Malcolm and Archer❤️❤️ wrote: "AWESOME Review Hun!
Did you start up your own blog??
xoxoxo"

Thanks, Patty! No, I joined Emily May on her blog. :)

Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog Oh Congrats!! :)
xoxoxo

Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog) Patty ❤️❤️ Belongs To ❤️Kellan❤️Jesse❤️ Miller❤️Garrett❤️Malcolm and Archer❤️❤️ wrote: "Oh Congrats!! :)
xoxoxo"

Thanks, sweetie! You know I'm a blogging newbie so I'm learning as I go along. LOL. ❤

Ksenia Wonderful review, Angela! I totally agree with you about the cover! Lauren Layne is one of my favorite authors and I’m looking forward to read this book, though I probably should lower my expectations.

Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog) Ksenia wrote: "Wonderful review, Angela! I totally agree with you about the cover! Lauren Layne is one of my favorite authors and I’m looking forward to read this book, though I probably should lower my expectati..."

Thanks, Ksenia! This is still worth reading and I hope you enjoy it. I'll absolutely continue to read books by Lauren Layne. :)

message 27: by Saffron (new)

Saffron Great review Angela! :)

Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog) Supreet *The Cupcake Queen* wrote: "Great review Angela! :)"

Thanks, Supreet!