rachel • typed truths's Reviews > Wicked

Wicked by Sara Shepard

Jul 15, 2015

bookshelves: own-kindle, 4-star, mystery-horror-thriller, rep-lgbtqiap

3.5 stars - spoilers for the previous books in this series.

This series has always created mixed feelings for me, and rightly so. It's a thriller but at the same time its pitched for its entertainment value and that really is its best feature. I never know what to expect going into this books - something simply amusing or something with a but more chill factor? Wicked was the first book that I can happily say that managed to create a perfect blend of those two elements.

The book started off a little slow and with an almost hesitant tone. But I understood that the readers were heading into uncharted territories and the author had to carefully set everything up for the new disasters about to fall the girls but not hint at anything too much after we thought that everything was practically over.

While the plotline lacked the action of some of the previous book, it made up for it with the an incredible level of suspense and just general eeriness. I loved the final third and have to say that while it wasn't "scary", I definitely had goosebumps and was eagerly flipping the pages with anticipation. I also enjoyed most of the subplots for once though they were a little repetitive and some were simply rehashes of the last book's "secrets".

I was a little dissatisfied with the lack of character development though, especially concerning Hanna and Emily. I find them both irritating and I am always tempted to skim their sections. Hanna was just too bitchy - as always. I didn't like the way she treated Lucas and the lack of exploration into her grief frustrated me. There was a great opportunity there for some tremendous character development and I was saddened that wasn't tapped. Emily's excessive giggling and crying bothered me, like always. Spencer and Aria remained consistent though, and I still adored reading about them both.

Overall, not much happened in this sequel but the suspense factor worked wonders. I'm eager to pick up Killer as soon as I can.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked.