rachel • typed truths's Reviews > Six Impossible Things

Six Impossible Things by Fiona Wood

Jul 14, 2015

bookshelves: 4-star, contemporary, aussie-author

I am so glad that I made myself reread this book. The first time I picked it up - over two years ago - I disliked it. The writing was too quirky, the protagonist a tad too weird, the plot duller than a blunt knife... it wasn't a happy reading experience. But when I got my hands of the sequel - a companion book really, but let's not be picky - I knew that I'd have to reread this. It been too long and I didn't want to jeopardise liking Wildlife because I couldn't remember the characters from the previous book... and I am so glad that I did pick this up again.

The writing was perfect. I honestly don't know why I complained about it last time. Sure, it's a little simple but that's what makes it so fantastic. It manages to capture the perfect voice of a teenager - I don't want to limit it a male teenager 'cause I don't exactly have personal experience but it sounded spot on. It had the easy-going but raw and open tone to it. And it really worked.

Again, I don't know what I found so "weird" about Dan. He's an incredible realistic, relatable and adorably awkward character. His internal monologue had me in stitches - thank God I didn't read this in public - and other times I was smiling like a fool to myself because he just gets it. It had all the silly little things we think to ourselves written down on the page and I was nodding a long thing exactly, exactly.

So I don't know why I didn't like this the first time. It was funny, light-hearted, feel-good and adorable. The characters were spot on. The writing was pretty fantastic. On to Wildlife now with no regrets!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Six Impossible Things.