Sharon's Reviews > Edgewater

Edgewater by Courtney Sheinmel

bookshelves: review-copy

Lorrie Hollander is attending Camp Woodscape, an equestrian program for advanced riders, when she is called to the office and told she will have to leave immediately as her fees have not been paid. Lorrie's mother left a trust fund for Lorrie and her sister Susannah before she left for England 12 years ago - so what's happening?

Lorrie returns to her now-dilapidated mansion home, Edgewater, to get some answers from her Aunt Gigi. But Gigi has her own issues - most notably her upcoming birthday party and a strong sense of denial.

Throw in a Senator's son that takes a liking to Lorrie, an eccentric young sister who won't stop bringing needy animals home, a scrounger boyfriend, a family secret or three and you have a tale with a glossy Country Club exterior and a lot of rot underneath.

The scenes at Edgewater with Lorrie & Susannah had an air of Shirley Jackson's We Have Always Lived in the Castle about them. I liked the relationship between Lorrie and her best friend Lennox, and I liked how everything twisted together. Still not quite sure where Jeremy fits in, but altogether this was a fresh, engaging, clever little book that made for a very enjoyable afternoon's reading.

Recommended!

Thanks to the publisher for providing me with a digital ARC via Netgalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Edgewater.

July 14, 2015 – Started Reading