Nova Zaiden's Reviews > Crown of Midnight

Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

liked it
bookshelves: okay-books, read-in-2015

Want more reviews, discussions and fun-filled posts? Check out my book blog, Out of Time.

I don't even know. Did I like it? Did I not? What is life. [I'm so confused that I didn't even punctuate properly.] - Nova @ Out of Time

Okay, I initially was not going to write a review for this. I mean a book with over 60,000 ratings. Like do I even need to voice out my thoughts? But guys - I feel SO CONFLICTED. There must be something wrong with me because I went from 0 to 100 real quick.

The first half of the book for me was not good at all. I just couldn't get into it. I was hardcore skimming. There was so much building and I did not care for much of it. I found the drama in the castle to be kind of boring. The only thing I liked is how the first half made me able to care for the characters. In my Throne of Glass thoughts on Goodreads, I mentioned that it was hard for me to connect/care about Dorian or Chaol. This book completely changed that for me.

Anyway, I'll get back to that but right now - the first half, save a few things, were really a snoozefest. At one point, I even wanted to DNF. But you know, it's Sarah J. Maas and after Throne of Glass, I had some level of trust for her writing.

THANK. THE. LORD.

The second half was anything I want in a book. Strong female lead. Much feels. Great pacing. Perfect amount of thrill and events that carry the plot. I don't even know what happened. It's like everything I didn't like was gone. Celaena was epic in the second half, in contrast to the first, where I thought she didn't really do much. The second part alone would've gotten the infinity stars rating while the first part might've gotten a two stars [at best.]

NOW DO YOU SEE THE DILEMMA?

Also, there's the last chapter. That was necessary, I know, but I hate this new plot line. I saw it coming and I actually hoped my prediction was wrong. Nevertheless, I'll probably be reading the next book anyway.

I can't say that I agreed with Celaena throughout the book. Most of her actions were questionable at best. I would never be able to say that I aspire to be like her when I grow up because I don't - and that's okay. Rather, I could connect to her anyway and that's big for me. In the first book, she was such a Mary Sue to me. Now, she's a lot more rounded, as we've seen her in moments of weakness.

Okay, back to my feelings about Dorian and Chaol. I feel so BAD for Dorian but not enough to ship him with Celaena. However, the things Celaena did to Chaol make me question why I ship Chaolaena. Besides the shipping though, my biggest issue was not feeling anything for these characters and now I'm completely invested in their story - along with Celaena's. I really want to know more about them now!

Um yeah, so now I don't even know how to rate this. I'm just going to go with three and a half.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crown of Midnight.

July 13, 2015 – Started Reading