Ravyn's Reviews > The Lord of Misrule

The Lord of Misrule by Kannan Feng

Dec 02, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: all-mm-fiction, g-fantasy, t-bdsm, t-magic-powers, paused-abandoned

Started reading this tonight, got about 1/3 through, but really not feeling it.

For starters, I don't particularly like the main characters. One is a spoiled brat who's a total asshat, and the other is his servant who plans to beat the master into being a better person. I just can't bring myself to care about either one of them.

Furthermore, I don't really like the subject matter/plot (what plot?) either. I was initially intrigued by the fact that this novel is set at a magical university, but sadly, development of this fantasy setting is pretty much non-existent. At the 1/3 mark, not a whole lot has happened in general except for some BDSM-flavored sex and some bizarre interactions between the main characters. Perhaps there is some kind of "plot" later in the novel, but at this point, I don't think it's ridiculous to expect that something should have happened already. So yeah, not so much in the way of character or plot development in general.

Bottom Line: Not my cup of tea, and honestly, I doubt I'm going to continue reading. However, I imagine this selection *might* be more appreciated by people who like brat-fic or BDSM fic.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lord of Misrule.

Ravyn Oh oops...I guess I rated it before I wrote my comments (which are now up).

It's not like I hated the book or anything. I try to be honest to myself when I rate books on goodreads, and 1 star for me means just what it says: I "didn't like it." It doesn't necessarily mean that I think it's the most awful book on the planet or anything...not at all.

I bought this book b/c I saw it on a "best of m/m fantasy" list here on goodreads, plus it had some good reviews, plus I thought the blurb sounded intriguing. (Who doesn't like magic school??) I guess I had high expectations, and unfortunately, the book turned out to be nothing like what I anticipated. Frankly, I didn't like the characters at all, and I thought the plot/worldbuilding was practically non-existent.

Maybe that's harsh, and maybe it's even more harsh than deserved due to my previous high expectations and subsequent letdown. But I dunno...I can't help how I feel I suppose.