Jason Parent's Reviews > Wizard and Glass

Wizard and Glass by Stephen King

bookshelves: fantasy, horror

The Wizard and the Glass had to piss a lot of people off when it came out. The book is 95% a story from Roland's past - a tale the intertwines several genres including western, romance, and fantasy. And it proves Stephen King can do it all.

This backstory is in many ways far better than the main plot line. It had suspense, excellent plotting and pacing, a plethora of well-developed characters - everything about it was perfect... well, except my only complaint about the book (view spoiler)

But perhaps the book's best quality is its obvious parallels between Ka-tet A and Ka-tet B. Roland's first band - Cuthbert, Alain, Susan, and Sheemie - is in part resurrected with Eddie, Jake, Susannah, and Oy. The characters hold such blatant similarities that I need not go into them, with the most-notable variance being that Susan is perhaps strong when circumstances require it while Susannah is tough and gritty all around.

The characters from the past enrich the characters of the present and the story of the longest walk ever taken, as well. It shed greater light on Roland, and created more questions, particularly as to who he might become. Hero? Villain? Victim?

This book is fantastic. It makes me want to re-read the Gunslinger, the portions that pertain to people in Roland sees in the glass. And it makes me want to read on, to follow the path of the beam to the Dark Tower, should the damned thing take me in my fool's errand.

Also... and I just want to reiterate this...

I love Oy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wizard and Glass.

July 12, 2015 – Started Reading
July 12, 2015 – Shelved
August 16, 2015 –
page 50
August 18, 2015 –
page 150
August 31, 2015 –
page 300
42.86% "Oh that Jonas, DePape and Reynolds - they seem so soft and cuddly - loved the tavern scene, and Cuthbert is becoming a favorite King character for me"
September 4, 2015 –
page 400
80.16% "So far, most of this book is a back story. And since I like it better than the main story, that's all right by me. Here, King is showing he can do more than horror, including fairy tale, western, and romance. I bet for the same reason others hate this book, I will love it."
September 11, 2015 –
page 550
September 14, 2015 –
page 600
85.71% "I know this can only end badly but I want it so badly not to be so..."
September 17, 2015 – Shelved as: fantasy
September 17, 2015 – Shelved as: horror
September 17, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Zoeytron From one Oy lover to another, your review was outstanding.

Jason Parent Thanks, Zoeytron! I see you rated it 5 stars, too Was this one your favorite in the series? It's my first run to the Dark Tower.

Delee *hand clap*

Wooooo hoooooey!!

Char Oy! :)

message 5: by Tiger (new)

Tiger Gray I thought this book was brilliant. He captured teenage romance so well.

message 6: by Stepheny (new) - added it

Stepheny I'm so glad that you loved this! A MAN who loves this book is a rare thing. LOL So yayyyy! And an excellent review my friend. I can't wait to continue this journey with you in my Ka-Tet! :D

Twerking To Beethoven I'm a bloke and I loved this book too. I actually think it's the best installment in the series.

message 8: by Stepheny (new) - added it

Stepheny Twerking wrote: "I'm a bloke and I loved this book too. I actually think it's the best installment in the series."

Yayyyyyy! Thanks for proving me wrong!

book babe I loved this book and the whole series! I've been in a reading slump ever since I finished because nothing comes close!