Clare O'Dea's Reviews > Sugar and Snails

Sugar and Snails by Anne  Goodwin

I read Sugar and Snails compulsively over a couple of days while travelling and found it an engrossing read. Because it’s told in the voice of the quiet self-effacing main character there is a gentle tone to the writing but it quickly becomes apparent that Diana has a deeply troubled background which accounts for her later life being lived in cautious monochrome.
Early on the reader knows that Diana has a secret and I formed a pretty accurate idea of what it could be before it was fully revealed. This may be because I’ve been following the author’s blog for some time and couldn’t help coming across some of discussions about the book but this knowledge in no way took away from the suspense of finding out what exactly had gone wrong (and how) in her teens and what she was going to do about it.
Diana’s turmoil is brought to the surface by the blossoming of a new relationship, the first potentially successful relationship she’s ever had. I don’t want to give away the secret of the story but anyone who is interested in the plight of the misfit in a conservative society will find this compelling and moving. A strong debut by Anne Goodwin.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sugar and Snails.

July 12, 2015 – Shelved