Matthew's Reviews > Lock In

Lock In by John Scalzi

bookshelves: gr_awards_2015, sci-fi, 2016, post-apocalyptic-dystopian, library

4 to 4.5 stars

Bonus points for creativity. It was an unexpectedly unique sci-fi/techno mystery with nice twists of humor. I am glad that I didn't know much about this going in because it was fun to get into this bizarre new world (is it okay to say it's fun to get into a plague filled world?)

I will say that this is a very brainy story. A lot of concentration and thought must be given in order to keep up. I am still not entirely sure of everything that happened!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lock In.

July 12, 2015 – Shelved
January 26, 2016 – Shelved as: post-apocalyptic-dystopian
January 26, 2016 – Shelved as: library
January 26, 2016 –
page 61
18.15% "I was really confused for the first 30 pages or so, but now it is picking up!"
January 27, 2016 –
page 85
25.3% "Hadens moving out"
January 28, 2016 –
page 167
49.7% "Who in the heck is who? You have to think in about 12 dimensions with this book."
January 29, 2016 –
page 225
66.96% "I'll get inside your head"
January 30, 2016 –
page 250
74.4% "If you want a a Haden dead, you can't just kill the threep"
January 31, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Fantastic review, Matthew!!

Matthew Dustin - thanks! (Looks like sometimes I miss these comments on my reviews - sorry it took me 10 months to see it! :))

Choko Nice review:-) And it is fun to get into this plague riddled story ☺

Matthew Choko wrote: "Nice review:-) And it is fun to get into this plague riddled story ☺"

Thanks, Choko!

message 5: by Nenia (new)

Nenia Campbell Scalzi always manages to be so funny and original! I don't know how he does it.

Matthew Nenia *The Flagrant Liberal* wrote: "Scalzi always manages to be so funny and original! I don't know how he does it."

I am looking forward to trying another of his books.

Kacy❁ I felt the same way! I went into the story not knowing what it was really about and was intrigued.

Cecily Yes, it's a great concept, though I think it might work better on screen that it did for me on the page.

Matthew Kacy wrote: "I felt the same way! I went into the story not knowing what it was really about and was intrigued."

Did you see there is a sequel coming out?

Matthew Cecily wrote: "Yes, it's a great concept, though I think it might work better on screen that it did for me on the page."

I can see that being the case. As I mentioned, I had to concentrate a lot to keep up. That may not have been necessary if it was on the big screen.

Cecily My main problem was similar: I was increasingly annoyed by the crass and detailed exposition. On screen, it might (just "might") be subtler.

Matthew Cecily wrote: "My main problem was similar: I was increasingly annoyed by the crass and detailed exposition. On screen, it might (just "might") be subtler."

The issue I had was with trying to grasp how the integration worked and perhaps it was the exposition that added to that difficulty. I remember thinking about 1/3 of the way through that I was going to end up thinking this was just okay. But, it finally clicked and I was satisfied.

message 13: by Cecily (last edited Dec 30, 2017 11:12AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cecily On screen, you have visuals that can distract from wanting to know the tech details (and from possible pot-holes).

Casting Chris would be a challenge, though, given that (view spoiler).

Matthew Cecily wrote: "On screen, you have visuals that can distract from wanting to know the tech details (and from possible pot-holes).

Casting Chris would be a challenge, though, given that [spoilers removed]."

Regarding your spoiler - so true! That was one of those things that didn't hit me until late in the book.

message 15: by Cecily (last edited Dec 30, 2017 11:53AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cecily I didn't realise immediately, but in the last three years or so, I have become more attuned to such things.