Lola's Reviews > Greatest Books You'll Never Read: Unpublished Masterpieces by The World's Greatest Writers

Greatest Books You'll Never Read by Bernard Richards

bookshelves: nonfiction, owned, reviewed, history, general-history

I look at certain books in my bookshelves, and they take me back to certain places. I remember reading Dead Souls the day I shadowed my high school in the 8th grade, my eyes staying on pages I'd already read because I was too nervous to look up and talk to someone. I remember reading Gone with the Wind and being completely engrossed in when we drove to Florida my sophomore year, my cousin in the backseat next to me singing along to the radio. I look at Greatest Books You'll Never Read, and I'm transported back to Shakespeare and Co. in Paris, where I purchased it when I was there in July. What has happened and continues to happen in France is breaking my heart because I watched the news the night everything was unfolding, and it hurt to think of the bright, beautiful, buzzing city I had just visited damaged by terrorism. Not Paris, I kept telling my mom, this can't happen in Paris. It hurt me, and I was only there three days. I can only imagine how much this has hurt Parisians and all of France. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with the people of France. Je t'adore!

Sorry for the tangent! I just can't review this book without talking about Paris. It just doesn't feel right. Okay, onto the review. I really like the idea of unfinished books. There's something very mysterious and alluring about a book that will never be finished to a bibliophile. We can never have it, and so we want it more. There's a reason Go Set a Watchman was on everyone's to-read list ten minutes after it was announced. We grab at what we can, piecing together chapters of books that were unfinished or unedited. Sometimes someone finishes them for us (see Jane Austen's Sandition). So many great writers leave behind unfinished books when they die or scrap early projects or drafts. I was familiar with a few of these, but I was pleasantly surprised with the diversity of the selections here. It went from Ancient Greeks to the modern era. I actually learned a lot about different areas of literature. It was a bit dry, but I feel like this is a book aimed at a very specific audience who will appreciate that. I had to power through this book a little bit, but then again I was sitting in a cafe in the beautiful city of Nice in the south of France eating the best chocolate mousse possibly ever made so it might've been hard to concentrate. I can already hear the sad songs you guys are going to play for me with the world's smallest violin over that. And to those of you who might say that I talk about my trip to France way too much in my reviews, I would say: DUH! I don't think I'll ever stop talking about it. I still can't believe I got to go.

End of second tangent. Highly recommended for anyone who loves books, the history of them, and a little bit of mystery.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Greatest Books You'll Never Read.

July 12, 2015 – Started Reading